This makes me SICK...Spoonbill Poaching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
....sigh....

I knew someone would get their panties in a twist over that comment...

Considering the paddle fish is a filter feeder, snagging is pretty much the only way to catch them. Yes, I have tried it, and its hard work. Like I said, I have no problem with legal taking of paddlefish. I just choose to not do it myself as my personal opinion about fishing is that it involves luring a fish with bait..

...and yes, I will also throw a net for shad and minnows...no, it ain't "sporting" but you must have bait to fish, and I prefer live bait!

As for bow fishing, yes I DO bow fish. I consider it a service to eradicate invasive carp, and I enjoy the hell out of crusing the shallows and banks with my bow and polarized glasses.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, the pics with the gutted paddlefish suck, but ODWC has really been crackin down on that unfortunately you can't catch all the crooks

Especially when people who see or know about it don't take the time to report it. :smack:

Seedy, what you posted is serious poaching, not like some kid that does not know better taking a couple undersized fish from the local pond. And you were also in fear of harm from these guys. So, I sincerely hope you took my advice and passed that information on. I did email to them what information you posted here, but only you would have the details that could help catch these guys next time. Seedy you have to understand the confusion. You post the pictures of what your witnessed poachers where doing, but yet you don't report it to those that matter. So with your other statement, it made your post look like your message was presenting the criminal act as a message or a reason against the sport. Seriously, you had an opportunity to do something good that day that would have helped the fishery and from what you described potentially even could have saved someone from harm. I have to admit your concern and lack of concern within the same post looked strange to me too.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When poaching become's an industry, it becomes a more serious problem than keeping 6 when your limit is 5. I've got Arkansas Game and Fish on speed dial, because I hate seeing limited trout fisheries being raped of immature fish by people who don't know any better and could care less.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit your concern and lack of concern within the same post looked strange to me too.

That confusion is understandable. I have every intention of reporting the poaching the next time I see it. I have not had the opportunity to report any poaching since I originally shared these pictures. I agree it is not like a kid taking an undersized fish, or your buddy taking a few over their limit.

I know now I should have reported what I saw that looked like organized poaching. My intention with this post originally (and still is) to educate people about paddlefish/spoonbill, and hopefully help curb the poaching.

There has been a lot of progress in the last few years as you can now have your fish cleaned for free while they take measurements and such for research. I have seen lots of new signs educating people about spoonbill limits and warning of the fines for transporting eggs.

I will most likely be around that area this weekend or the next and without a doubt will "drop the dime" if see people clearly harvesting over their limit for caviar.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't want to do it, I will volunteer. It will be a bad day for them if they want to get ugly.

Well...I'll make a phone call, but I'll let you play (?) LEO (hell maybe you are LEO...IDK) and confront the folks until the Game Warden shows up...

Well...If you are serious...The spoonbill are running right now. If poaching is going on, one would probably be able to find them just below Kerr Dam (Hudson) down to Chouteau Bend on either side of the river. Possibly even in a spot as obvious as "Low Water Dam"... Most likely they would be active in the early morning hours on weekdays to avoid the crowds, or possibly try to blend in to the crowd at a popular spot like Low Water Dam on the weekend.

I think a good tactic for identifying poachers from the people having fun would be to position one self between the parking lot and the water and see if there is a person or group of persons who go back and forth taking fish to the same vehicle or area. I would look for people burning bodies/heads. I would also be suspicious of any "tarped off" area, such as a tarp hung like a curtain between two trucks...maybe they are blocking the wind, and maybe they are hiding something...

...but really...I don't think anything I've posted above isn't already known by the Game Wardens...

I like to haunt that area pretty regularly during most any time of the year (great Bald Eagle viewing at Kerr Dam in the Winter) so If I'm up there and see any thing suspicious I will call...

I LOVE fish...I originally went to school to study aquatic biology. I love to fish, eat fish, keep fish in tanks, study fish, read about fish, photograph fish...Hell I even have fish tattoo'd on me. But I'm not willing to risk escalating a situation to lethal force over a fish.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be very careful if the reference to Russian Mafia is serious and not just an exaggeration.

Those guys dont mess around and thinking that just because you are packing a heater means there is equal standing or fair odds is a misjudgement of the situation.

As stated, you arent dealing with street thugs. Some of these guys are former red army or spetsnaz. Best route would be to get out of the area without any way for them to identify you (car tag etc) and report.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y5_seedy_redneckfishftw.jpg

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated, you arent dealing with street thugs. Some of these guys are former red army or spetsnaz. Best route would be to get out of the area without any way for them to identify you (car tag etc) and report.

I agree 100% Like I said I'm not willing to risk escalating a situation to lethal force over a fish. Even if the people taking part aren't actually "russian mafia", the nature of a highly lucrative illegal activity (caviar poaching) makes me think violence is possible. It's really no different than running into a marijuana patch while out hiking or hunting...

Latest posts

Top Bottom