Thoughts on AR's for long range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't shoot a .223 past 600. Under 600 yards is medium range not long range.

I would say i disagree with "can't shoot a .223 past 600". I know that there are more efficient rounds out there but i enjoy trying to hit a prarie dog at 7-800yards with a 223. It takes alot of dope and often more than one shot but it is more challenging than say a 7 mag with 110 gr. bullets. I have a dpms upper with 24" non-fluted barrel 1 in 8 twist. I don't reload so I generally shoot 55 gr. ballistic tips just because they are cheaper and you can burn alot of ammo shooting prarie dogs. The 75 gr. is definitely better but the 55 gr. are ussually about 50 cents a round compared to 80 or 90 cents.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can also shot a .22lr at 250 yds, that doesnt mean it will kill anything...

Who said anything about killing anything past 600 yards? He just said that a .223 wont shoot past 600 yards and I showed him that you can. If it kills anything or not, I don't know, different discussion.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who said anything about killing anything past 600 yards? He just said that a .223 wont shoot past 600 yards and I showed him that you can. If it kills anything or not, I don't know, different discussion.

I'm not saying I would volunter for someone to take pop shots from 600 yds out at me, but it wouldnt be my choice for what the original poster wants. if he wants to shoot that far on varmints I would pick a .22-250 or .243

Reaction score
I have 2 ar15's one in 5.56 and the other in 5.45 russian. Both are 16" barrels the 5.56 is fluted. Most ballistics charts i look at use 24" barrels for testing. Which one if either would you feel would reach the furthest? Im looking for a 500 yard yote killer im trying to decide if i can scope one of these and put my acog on the other for home defense or if i should acog one and sell the other for cash to buy a 24" bull barrel in one of 3 calibers 223, 5.45 or 204 ruger. Just looking for opinions and experience. Thanks yall.

OK, here it is: The answer is not A or B - the answer is C - one that you didn't mention.

You're in the wrong ballpark; the wrong *family* of chamberings.

The answer starts off like your 'B' choice - sell one to raise funds - but does not end up with your last part of "to buy a 24" bull barrel in one of 3 calibers 223, 5.45 or 204 ruger."

Substitute pretty much anything of a bigger caliber than .22 for your chambering choices, and you'll have a winner: .243 Win, 6mm, .25-06, .257 Robts, etc. If you're intent on staying with AR15 platform, then get it in 6.8 spc, 6.5 grendel, .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, something like that (Yes, you can get these). Even 6x45mm wouldn't be terrible.

.204 Ruger is like a laser to around 400 but it then peters out due to very poor BCs. And you said 500, not 400. You need to have better BCs if you're truly wanting to do what you say you are - shoot at 500 and beyond, and not be frustrated in the wind. Sure the others will get there (and a .17 mach too will kill a deer, yada yada), but it's a lot easier to get there with minimal wind drift estimation error with a 6mm or larger bullet. Take a good look at a turnbolt in .243 Win or 6mm Rem. 75, 80, and 85 gr bullets hit the sweet spot between MV and BC for laserlike trajectory, for this general range. Believe it or not, a turnbolt works fine for coyotes and such, is lighter, and typically has better accuracy than a semi-auto (of same cost/ ceteris paribus).

If you DO stick with 5.56/.223, then look at a 1 in 7 twist gun, with a long barrel (26"), so that you can shoot heavies (77-80 grains and up) with good BCs at a fairly good clip. [Again, turnbolt beats semi here, since they may not feed through the mag/magwell of an AR15.] They're gonna buck the wind better, even better than a "standard" .22-250 once you get past 400 yards. But, if you're willing to go to a turnbolt, and don't mind a heavy gun, and if you MUST stick with a .22 cal, then you'll want to take a hard look at the Savage Precision Target Rifle - it's offerred (or was at least) in .22-250 in two twist rates - the standard 1 in 12, but also 1 in 9. Get the 1 in 9 - Pushing out some 68s-70s with BCs over .35, with that 1 in 9 with -250 powder capacity should make for some excellent "medium" range (out to 500) ballistics with essentially no recoil. Not to mention THE most important part - the extreme accuracy of the Savage that you'll need to make hits consistently at that range.

If you want a lighter weight gun, it's hard to beat a turnbolt like the one I have "dedicated" as my long-range yote & varminter - it's a T/C Icon Classic in .243 Win with a 1 in 12 twist and standard sporter weight barrel. It's very accurate, and it's optimized at that twist for the 70s-80s or 85s - which is the sweet spot out to any reasonable hunting range (say, 500). But nothing wrong with a .243 with a 1 in 10 either; they'll git er done. And all of these 6mms will do so a lot better in the wind than anything you mention. You don't need a heavy barrel with yotes - all that matters is a cold barrel (1st shot) hit, and thin barrels can do this just fine, of quality make. Prairie dogs or such could be a different story, if you really get into them.

Also, don't rule out 6mm BR - good long range varmint round.

Another thing about platform type. Suppose you do go against my advice and decide that you just HAVE to have a .204 ruger or .22-250 let's say, which have similar trajectories and recoil impulses (with .204 Ruger being *slightly* superior on balance) - in that event, there's yet *another* advantage of getting a turnbolt or single shot, over a semi-auto. In a fairly heavy gun, these rounds are so light on the recoil that you can see the hit actually occur through your scope oftentimes, even at long ranges - at least you can with a turnbolt, single shot, etc. But you cannot do so (most of the time) with a semi, particularly a piston gun, because the movement of the bolt and BC tends to put a torque on the rifle that is not straight back and messes up your sight picture before you can see the hit. A lot of varminter guys have ditched their .204 ARs and similar for their old trusty turnbolts for this reason. This can be important for yotes - let's say that you shoot and you can't see if you hit or not.... then you walk 300 yards and start looking, but it all looks the same, so you're not sure exactly where the yote was standing. If you SAW the hit and the yote go down, you'll keep looking until you find it, as well you should (well if you keep the fur or want to take pics that is). If you didn't see it, you may have missed but only think you hit, and look for an hour for a yote that is alive and well (and far away), just due to optical illusions in the field.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, that's probably not 900 yards. Nice video of some dumb rednecks though.

They were using "cheap wolf" ammo according to the description. Figuring it is close to XM193 ballistics that is probably 3200 fps with a .25 BC. Probably going around 850 fps at 900 yards. Not likely to still be stable that far or even going that fast. Wolf is terribly underpowered and inconsistent.

I would say i disagree with "can't shoot a .223 past 600". I know that there are more efficient rounds out there but i enjoy trying to hit a prarie dog at 7-800yards with a 223. It takes alot of dope and often more than one shot but it is more challenging than say a 7 mag with 110 gr. bullets. I have a dpms upper with 24" non-fluted barrel 1 in 8 twist. I don't reload so I generally shoot 55 gr. ballistic tips just because they are cheaper and you can burn alot of ammo shooting prarie dogs. The 75 gr. is definitely better but the 55 gr. are ussually about 50 cents a round compared to 80 or 90 cents.

It's OK. I don't like being wrong, but if it works for you, I say go with it.

Dustin where's that great chart vdub posted with the banana like SMK falling out of the sky at 600 yards.

That's more than enough evidence to convince me.

[Broken External Image]

Riiiiiiiight, you showed me.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This discussion has been on these boards before and it has been proven over and over that there are lots of guys shooting .223 out to 1000 yards. Now this isn't your off the shelf 16" barreled AR but with 24-26" barrels with the appropriate loads and bullets, it is done regularly and with good proficiency. Like i always say, don't argue that it can't be done with the guy who's already doing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom