Thoughts on Mini 14 value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same thing with a mini 30 of an acquaintance of mine. This guy was in his 70s, had a gun collection that would make your eyes pop and had been reloading for the better part of my life. He struggled with the thing for months trying every trick he knew and couldn’t get it to shoot for a darn.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s where a well maintained rat hole (sneaky money) comes into play. 😉
Grampa always said “you don’t have to drop your pants to show you’re an ass.” Some folks are just contrarian trolls and argue for no other reason then they enjoy the foolish activity. I had a cousin like that, sadly he passed away at 28 years old. That kid would tell you the sky was green just to start trouble. What a miserable way to go through life. They have my pity.
There’s a lot of that on hunting and shooting message boards ESPECIALLY OSA. :lmfao:

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traded a 7.5" SBH several years ago for my Mini 14. Had been trying to trade the revolver for a shorter barrel model, no takers; couldn't even find a buyer at $525 range. Then this guy hit me up to trade for the Mini, with 2 5 rd and 1 20 rd factory mags, plus a couple aftermarket, plus a couple boxes of ammo. I figured I'd flip it and make some money over what I wanted for the SBH, but ended up keeping it after shooting it some. Mine is from around 1981ish, a wood/stainless model.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I traded a 7.5" SBH several years ago for my Mini 14. Had been trying to trade the revolver for a shorter barrel model, no takers; couldn't even find a buyer at $525 range. Then this guy hit me up to trade for the Mini, with 2 5 rd and 1 20 rd factory mags, plus a couple aftermarket, plus a couple boxes of ammo. I figured I'd flip it and make some money over what I wanted for the SBH, but ended up keeping it after shooting it some. Mine is from around 1981ish, a wood/stainless model.
You came out all right on that deal.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago I got a stainless Mini 30 in a trade. I kind of hated to get rid of it before I had a chance to try it out so I priced it at what they were going for new and took it to a gunshow to walk around with.

The first guy that stopped me to look at it, bought it for my asking price and was happy to get it.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I want to shoot around corners or want to miss the target I truly value the Mini 14...

One of my first rifles. They are almost as modifiable as an AR. I like the light weight of the Mini 14 and that it is very similar to the M1A, but again, if I want to bulls eye a target I go to my AR. I see the attraction to the Mini 14 and can see why people still buy them, but if I could only have one rifle, it would not be the Mini 14.

Maybe if Ruger made one in .308? Oh wait, that's been done.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two, bought my first about 7-8 years ago for $300. It’s a stainless/black 186- Series (1990) without a single blemish on the gun. The feller I got it from had sold it twice before and both times the people brought it back due to a “feeding issue”. When I took it out for the first time I ran the first mag through and it ran flawlessly but the second mag? Sure enough had a feeding problem. After a little playing with it I figured out the problem which turns out was human error. Not paying attention I managed to get the second round in the mag loaded slightly canted and every subsequent round after that was off. Once I got that straightened out it ran flawlessly and has ever since. I’m sure that’s all it ever was and because others didn’t take the time to investigate I got a fun plinker for a fraction of what it was worth. Yes the 180 series leaves some to be desired if you’re a target shooter but fist sized groups at 100 yards is good enough for my needs. It’s now Mama’s gun…..well at least I told her it was and I grabbed a 580 Series from a fellow OSA member and it’s MUCH more accurate. Now we can both share mags should the situation arise which to me is a big plus. Don’t believe they were ever intended to be tac drivers and even the older one is way better than man accurate at 200 yards. At least I doubt anyone on OSA would want to stand at 200 yards and let me have a go at them. 😉. I hope you understand that was a joke. 😂😂

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only issues I ever had with a Mini-30 (or Mini-14 for that matter) is it wouldn't shoot the cheap, Russian ammo very well. 3 or 4 rounds from a 20 round mag wouldn't fire due to the hard primers, I guess. Only thing I can figure. It made a helluva dimple in the primer but wouldn't fire it. A second go around it usually would.

I have one of the newer tactical models and it shoots pretty doggone well...2" to 2.5" give or take a bit off a bench at 100 yds with American Eagle ammo. Maybe not match grade but it's sure good enough.

I think a lot of the accuracy issues with Minis have to do with the very crude front sight on the older models. They damn near completely cover a regular silhouette at 100 yds. The newer ones have sights that are much better. I have a RDS on the tactical and it works much better than the irons for me.

Full Kit 2 Sm.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have two, bought my first about 7-8 years ago for $300. It’s a stainless/black 186- Series (1990) without a single blemish on the gun. The feller I got it from had sold it twice before and both times the people brought it back due to a “feeding issue”. When I took it out for the first time I ran the first mag through and it ran flawlessly but the second mag? Sure enough had a feeding problem. After a little playing with it I figured out the problem which turns out was human error. Not paying attention I managed to get the second round in the mag loaded slightly canted and every subsequent round after that was off. Once I got that straightened out it ran flawlessly and has ever since. I’m sure that’s all it ever was and because others didn’t take the time to investigate I got a fun plinker for a fraction of what it was worth. Yes the 180 series leaves some to be desired if you’re a target shooter but fist sized groups at 100 yards is good enough for my needs. It’s now Mama’s gun…..well at least I told her it was and I grabbed a 580 Series from a fellow OSA member and it’s MUCH more accurate. Now we can both share mags should the situation arise which to me is a big plus. Don’t believe they were ever intended to be tac drivers and even the older one is way better than man accurate at 200 yards. At least I doubt anyone on OSA would want to stand at 200 yards and let me have a go at them. 😉. I hope you understand that was a joke. 😂😂
I would buy a few at $300 each. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom