Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What he said. I also found out the other day that BlueForce Gear's 10-speed chest rig works famously for AK mags but that is with the understanding that the locking tabs on the mags will destroy the elastic in time.

image.jpg

Other than that, HSGI's taco pouches are almost tailor made for AK stuff and nearly any flapped, double AR pouch should hold a mag with no issues.

Ek

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got out to the range this weekend, let's just say, y'all have nothing to worry about, lol.

I ran 1.5 miles yesterday and just about died, so I have a lot of work to do over the next 2 and a half weeks. I am down about 20 pounds since I started though, hope to shed another 10 in time.

I have a question though. When you clear the rifle at the end of each stage, what's the procedure? Pull mag and shoot the chambered round down range, or eject and fumble around with a live round?

Anyone going with a single point sling?

Nice job on the weight loss my friend. I've been running myself. I ran the Vtac board a few times this weekend in full gear and found out that my newly mounted flashlight won't allow me get my barrel through the holes very well. Guess I'll be ditching it for this event. It will be daytime anyway, so I won't need it. Knee pads sure came in handy though when transitioning between the holes on the bottom.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What he said. I also found out the other day that BlueForce Gear's 10-speed chest rig works famously for AK mags but that is with the understanding that the locking tabs on the mags will destroy the elastic in time.

View attachment 30599

Other than that, HSGI's taco pouches are almost tailor made for AK stuff and nearly any flapped, double AR pouch should hold a mag with no issues.

Ek

Yes, the HSGI stuff is legit. One of our sponsors, Roughneck Firearms out of Texas, is a dealer for them and is bringing up some of his wares to be peddled at the event. My ideal setup for this type of thing would be one of those padded war belts like HSGI sells, with a few double decker rifle tacos and a few pistol tacos. I like that idea because I could use the same gear for both my 5.56 and 7.62x51 rifles, and for any pistol. Unfortunately the cost of that stuff adds up quick. When it costs the same as a new gun or a case of ammo to get a belt and mag pouches, I tend to go with the former and keep making do with old GI ALICE stuff.

FYI, some of this HSGI gear will probably be up for grabs as prizes at the event.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
henschman, will the folks manning the shooting stations be calling hits or do we have to determine that ourselves?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ROs will be calling hits. We will try to remind you to shoot again if you don't get enough hits on a target and are trying to go to the next one. We will do our best to keep up with some of you speed demons... but in the event of a dispute, the RO's say is final... no appeals or mulligans or anything like that (unless we have a target fall down or something). This is where good attitudes become important.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We will do our best to keep up with some of you speed demons... but in the event of a dispute, the RO's say is final...

You won't get any disputes from me...in fact I might hear "Time" more than I hear "Hit". LOL

Thanks again for putting this on. I know for a fact a whole group of folks are running and shooting more because of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom