Time for a hip replacement!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the traumatologist told me when he put my hip back together in June of 2007 that I would need/want a hip replacement within five years. Hey, I've made it last almost seven years! Time has come. Got a hip replacement scheduled for May 20th in OKC. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers! TIA

Don

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of hip did you get in 2007? Ceramic, stainless?
I'm curious. Thanks and I hope it works out for you.

They couldn't replace it then ... nothing to attach it to. I got a steel plate and four screws at that time. Basically, I drove the ball through the socket, blowing out all the bone a replacement socket would have attached to.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They couldn't replace it then ... nothing to attach it to. I got a steel plate and four screws at that time. Basically, I drove the ball through the socket, blowing out all the bone a replacement socket would have attached to.

Oh man that sounds like some pain!
What type of replacement do they have in mind this time?
Will they be able to install a socket and ball?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Will do, hope it all goes well. I know several who've had the surgery and all have done well...........they had already had knee or shoulder procedures and said the hip was a walk in the park.:)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, everybody is telling me this will be a piece of cake, compared to what I went through in '07. They will do a full replacement. The ball is titanium-coated stainless steel as I recall. The socket is a plastic/nylon type of material ... one of the 'poly' somethings. There's a metal cup that goes in first and then they seat the actual socket into that cup. All the hardware from 2007 should stay in there, unless they have to remove a screw for clearance or something. They'll have to clean up/clean out the bone in the pelvis to allow them to insert the metal cup. They say they'll have me up and walking the day after surgery. Supposed to have the surgery on Tuesday and go home Friday.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will go a lot easier than you think. I had a bi lateral (2) hip replacement done 20 years ago. Have a close friend who just had one done. Apparently they went through the front to avoid muscle, new procedure? The hip your describing is what I have, screws and all. Hope all goes well as I'm sure it will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom