Timothy Harper arrested..... finally! Idiot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
Many moons ago it was Michael Brown that stated never use your firearm as a talisman to ward away evil. Now I'm sure you have no idea who hes is, but let's just say he was a knowledgeable member around here in the beginning, that offered real world advice when it came to honest SD/CQ training. It hit home with me and never forgot it....

Either way.... consider this....

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/friends-dont-let-friends-open-carry

Oh and FWIW, if Spencer Keepers 6'2 @ 300LBs can carry AIWB, then pretty much anything is possible for IWB carry. Just sayin.
Thanks again for the link. Very good!

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
All of our actions includes flaunting open carry when the gun could have been concealed. Granted, western clothing with shirt tucked in and no cover garment makes it more difficult. Sometimes you have to make a clothing choice to conceal a firearm. For weapon retention I’d suggest a good instructor that deals a lot with grappling and fighting from the ground because that is very likely where you will find yourself if someone tries to take yours. What brand of holster just requires a twist for your commander to be drawn?
My Harper deserves what he gets. He did more to harm gun rights than help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sometimes it takes a very DRASTIC change in clothing for some of us.

Yes I've taken a look at some of that training in the past. I thought maybe you had one to recommend. It looks like it would bee good training. It looks similar to judo techniques i learned when i was young. I'll tell you one thing, though. At my age I'm getting to the point where if it ever gets physical I'll lose no matter what. It would be as if i had no weapon at all. I would really like some of my offspring to go through some of that training though.

Uncle Mike's.

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
Is that because of authority with a radio? or a gun? Watch how quick said characters react differently to armed security. The respect is not nearly the same.

Criminals don't just flee for the hills at the sight of a gun.
Most people respect a cop a lot more than they do a security guard due to the authority.
There are some types, however who NO respect for any person or any authority and would kill a cop in a heartbeat if they think they could get away with it. Most criminals are hard-core cowards. Most will not act unless they believe they are safe in doing so. They look for signs of weakness or complacency. In most cases, a cop does not show that bit rather gives the impression that he is aware, in control, and is ready to use that sidearm if necessary.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people respect a cop a lot more than they do a security guard due to the authority.
There are some types, however who NO respect for any person or any authority and would kill a cop in a heartbeat if they think they could get away with it. Most criminals are hard-core cowards. Most will not act unless they believe they are safe in doing so. They look for signs of weakness or complacency. In most cases, a cop does not show that bit rather gives the impression that he is aware, in control, and is ready to use that sidearm if necessary.
There has been a trend lately of people targeting LEO on the job. Dallas lost 6 in one day, NYC and other cities have had cops ambushed while sitting in their cruisers by folks walking up and shooting them.
People are throwing water on cops in NYC for God's sake and getting away with it.

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
So, why do LE open carry? Is there a tactical advantage? Are there strategic advantages? Are there logistical advantages? Does it allow faster access to the weapon? Does it allow a cleaner, non-fouled draw? Does it contribute to command presence? Does it allow for an instant reholster when it's time to go hands-on RFN and you don't want to abandon it? Does it allow for better access when seated? Is it more comfortable than IWB, or anywhere else and therefore worn a greater percentage of time? Can larger caliber weapons with higher capacities be carried openly than concealed? Does all the previous also apply to ammo/magazines? Why didn't any of my heroes and historical figures conceal carry? Were they drag queens too? Have you noticed that nearly everyone drawing from concealed needs 2 hands to do so? Is there anything you'd rather be doing with that other hand? Why do they always look at the weapon when drawing concealed? Will open carriers draw while keeping eyes on the threat? What fraction of a second advantage does that convey? What fraction of a second are you willing to forego in order to feel smug about your concealed weapon? How many are victimized before accessing their concealed weapon vs. how many are victimized as a result of an open carried weapon?

Your reactionary revulsion to open carry is an effeminate, emotional, issue - stemming from a fear of guns.
I actually pondered that one a few seconds. I would have to say the reason is the uniform. People know he/she is a law enforcement officer. In this country, at least, that is a dead giveaway he/she is armed. The element of surprise is gone. Therefore, why not carry in such a way that, theoretically, offers the quickest access to the gun?

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
I don’t OC that often to tell you the truth. I actually prefer to because it’s much easier to draw without fiddling around with a shirt, jacket, coat. Also, there are a lot of people that use the saying that if a bad guy sees me carrying they will execute me first. While this is possible, it’s unlikely. I have watched so many videos and shows on robberies and such and almost every time the suspect comes in and goes right to the front of the store to rob it. Or in a pharmacy they go right to the front window. They want in and out as quick as possible. The last thing they want is to get into a shootout with someone. Most of these people have no intentions of hurting anyone. They just want money or drugs or whatever. Criminals always look for the weakest people they can find to assault. If they walk in and see my gun it might just cause them to leave. Maybe it won’t. But if they walk in and look and don’t see anyone carrying they might think they can have their way. Sure that could be advantageous for me but maybe not too. There are a lot of variables to consider. I don’t know of any incidents where someone OC was shot and killed by the bad guy because the bad guy saw they were OC. Why don’t police get executed by people all the time? They OC. Them being police makes no difference. If someone is willing to murder someone else they aren’t gonna care if it’s a cop or not. Like I said, if more people would OC it would go a long way to change the public’s opinion.
Good observation. My favorite: "There are a lot of variables to consider." That's the thing. There are so many potential scenarios and so may theories out there. Alway been that way. Look at how the FBI changes service weapons and ammo for example, or how Weaver and them changed how handgun shooting is done. The realms of defence and shooting are no different than any other area or topic. Methods and ideas are always in a state of change due to technology, circumstances, etc. What is accepted fact today becomes out-of-date tomorrow.
What is right for one scenario is wrong for another.

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
There has been a trend lately of people targeting LEO on the job. Dallas lost 6 in one day, NYC and other cities have had cops ambushed while sitting in their cruisers by folks walking up and shooting them.
People are throwing water on cops in NYC for God's sake and getting away with it.
This world keeps getting crazier!

Plinker59

Marksman
Reaction score
While I appreciate all the input on this thread. It’s really become a different debate. The guy in question did something incredibly stupid. He now has some heavy legal fees to pay. I hope he loses his right to own/carry/use firearms for the simple fact that he is dangerous. He’s dangerous to the public, and he’s dangerous to himself. Sooner or later he would killed someone/ someone would have killed him/ he would have been arrested/ he would have been to match that lit the fire of public outrage against owning/using/carrying firearms. People like this are out to gain attention. Unfortunately it’s usually negative. Again, just my .02.
I understand what your saying. I really do. I just have a hard time understanding how a person can be serious about protecting a constitutional right while hoping that right can be so easily taken.

Latest posts

Top Bottom