Timothy Harper arrested..... finally! Idiot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually pondered that one a few seconds. I would have to say the reason is the uniform. People know he/she is a law enforcement officer. In this country, at least, that is a dead giveaway he/she is armed. The element of surprise is gone. Therefore, why not carry in such a way that, theoretically, offers the quickest access to the gun?
exactly

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, why do LE open carry? Is there a tactical advantage? Are there strategic advantages? Are there logistical advantages? Does it allow faster access to the weapon? Does it allow a cleaner, non-fouled draw? Does it contribute to command presence? Does it allow for an instant reholster when it's time to go hands-on RFN and you don't want to abandon it? Does it allow for better access when seated? Is it more comfortable than IWB, or anywhere else and therefore worn a greater percentage of time? Can larger caliber weapons with higher capacities be carried openly than concealed? Does all the previous also apply to ammo/magazines? Why didn't any of my heroes and historical figures conceal carry? Were they drag queens too? Have you noticed that nearly everyone drawing from concealed needs 2 hands to do so? Is there anything you'd rather be doing with that other hand? Why do they always look at the weapon when drawing concealed? Will open carriers draw while keeping eyes on the threat? What fraction of a second advantage does that convey? What fraction of a second are you willing to forego in order to feel smug about your concealed weapon? How many are victimized before accessing their concealed weapon vs. how many are victimized as a result of an open carried weapon?

Your reactionary revulsion to open carry is an effeminate, emotional, issue - stemming from a fear of guns.
Can I like this about 10x

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t OC that often to tell you the truth. I actually prefer to because it’s much easier to draw without fiddling around with a shirt, jacket, coat. Also, there are a lot of people that use the saying that if a bad guy sees me carrying they will execute me first. While this is possible, it’s unlikely. I have watched so many videos and shows on robberies and such and almost every time the suspect comes in and goes right to the front of the store to rob it. Or in a pharmacy they go right to the front window. They want in and out as quick as possible. The last thing they want is to get into a shootout with someone. Most of these people have no intentions of hurting anyone. They just want money or drugs or whatever. Criminals always look for the weakest people they can find to assault. If they walk in and see my gun it might just cause them to leave. Maybe it won’t. But if they walk in and look and don’t see anyone carrying they might think they can have their way. Sure that could be advantageous for me but maybe not too. There are a lot of variables to consider. I don’t know of any incidents where someone OC was shot and killed by the bad guy because the bad guy saw they were OC. Why don’t police get executed by people all the time? They OC. Them being police makes no difference. If someone is willing to murder someone else they aren’t gonna care if it’s a cop or not. Like I said, if more people would OC it would go a long way to change the public’s opinion.
This!^^^^

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I like this about 10x
I can draw from my range rig onto a 7 yard T-section B26 in 1.00 seconds for single round. I can fire from cover garment in 1.35. I have drawn in CQB with a person on drugs trying to car jack me using my left hand to grab his hair and my right hand to draw. A proper five step draw will join the hands at step 3 of the draw this is two steps after cover garment is moved out of the way. The difference in time is negligible. i'm not being an ass but would very much enjoy showing you your misconception on my range using the timer and turning targets. open carry is not advocated by any major school or training system it is not conducive to any tactical advantage. If you get a chance Take Close Quarters fighting at Gunsite which is empty hand. edged weapon and Ballistic response. Also DH2 at Thunder Ranch gets into some good concealed carry CQB. Standing in some range with no timer or turning target is hard to generate empirical data to show how the techniques work. Much like driving a car onto an interstate off ramp is not really the same as doing NASCAR. Seriously i enjoy showing folks how one can out shoot a person who lacks training from low ready versus holstered and concealed especially on turning targets. if you do not experience it you do not know you do not know. Trust me i was the same way.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can draw from my range rig onto a 7 yard T-section B26 in 1.00 seconds for single round. I can fire from cover garment in 1.35. I have drawn in CQB with a person on drugs trying to car jack me using my left hand to grab his hair and my right hand to draw. A proper five step draw will join the hands at step 3 of the draw this is two steps after cover garment is moved out of the way. The difference in time is negligible. i'm not being an ass but would very much enjoy showing you your misconception on my range using the timer and turning targets. open carry is not advocated by any major school or training system it is not conducive to any tactical advantage. If you get a chance Take Close Quarters fighting at Gunsite which is empty hand. edged weapon and Ballistic response. Also DH2 at Thunder Ranch gets into some good concealed carry CQB. Standing in some range with no timer or turning target is hard to generate empirical data to show how the techniques work. Much like driving a car onto an interstate off ramp is not really the same as doing NASCAR. Seriously i enjoy showing folks how one can out shoot a person who lacks training from low ready versus holstered and concealed especially on turning targets. if you do not experience it you do not know you do not know. Trust me i was the same way.
DILLIGAF?
And I'm not a proponent of open carry, I have to when dressed the way I do sometime in summer but for the most part try to wear long shirts. I'm a fan of open carry because it doesnt make you liable if its accidentally see or printed.
And congratulations on your cat like speed. Bad guys have no training so I'm at there level or slightly above with minimal training.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DILLIGAF?
And I'm not a proponent of open carry, I have to when dressed the way I do sometime in summer but for the most part try to wear long shirts. I'm a fan of open carry because it doesnt make you liable if its accidentally see or printed.
And congratulations on your cat like speed. Bad guys have no training so I'm at there level or slightly above with minimal training.
Wait, are you actually liable if a concealed weapon prints or becomes accidentally exposed in a place that it’s lawful to carry? It doesn’t make any sense so it could certainly be the law. I don’t read that stuff closely enough. I had thought the new laws changed that

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait, are you actually liable if a concealed weapon prints or becomes accidentally exposed in a place that it’s lawful to carry? It doesn’t make any sense so it could certainly be the law. I don’t read that stuff closely enough. I had thought the new laws changed that
It was before the passage of open carry.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t OC that often to tell you the truth. I actually prefer to because it’s much easier to draw without fiddling around with a shirt, jacket, coat. Also, there are a lot of people that use the saying that if a bad guy sees me carrying they will execute me first. While this is possible, it’s unlikely. I have watched so many videos and shows on robberies and such and almost every time the suspect comes in and goes right to the front of the store to rob it. Or in a pharmacy they go right to the front window. They want in and out as quick as possible. The last thing they want is to get into a shootout with someone. Most of these people have no intentions of hurting anyone. They just want money or drugs or whatever. Criminals always look for the weakest people they can find to assault. If they walk in and see my gun it might just cause them to leave. Maybe it won’t. But if they walk in and look and don’t see anyone carrying they might think they can have their way. Sure that could be advantageous for me but maybe not too. There are a lot of variables to consider. I don’t know of any incidents where someone OC was shot and killed by the bad guy because the bad guy saw they were OC. Why don’t police get executed by people all the time? They OC. Them being police makes no difference. If someone is willing to murder someone else they aren’t gonna care if it’s a cop or not. Like I said, if more people would OC it would go a long way to change the public’s opinion.

I would also like to add to this. Much like officers (and civilians) in a shootout, criminals often have tunnel vision during the commission of their crime. There are multiple instances where bank robbers walk right past the off-duty officer oblivious to their presence due to the tunnel vision. With that being the case, the chances of you being shot first simply because you are open carrying are slim. This isn't Hollywood and the wild west wasn't as bloody and violent like Hollywood/Democrats want people to think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom