Took a youngster out this weekend!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We took our nephew out this past holiday!

He was able to shoot his first set of ducks on Thanksgiving morning! He was thrilled to see how the ducks worked in so close and how the dogs worked! He was full of questions about different ducks, why we called the way we did and how the wind effected our hunt.... I know we created a monster!

After a huge amount of food he retired for a nap. It took a few shakes to get him up for an afternoon of deer hunting...but off we went!!!

On the walk into our blind.... I saw the largest deer in my life...standing atop of the knoll. I grabbed his shoulder and ducked.... He asked...What's up? Is there someone in the field? Then he got a glimpse of "Bigg'un"!!

He spilled his cartridges while trying to get loaded....twice! Then said...You take him.... I handed him my rifle and tried to get him calmed down... He said he was steady.... but missed....TWICE! Bigg'un left....not spooked just a little nervous.

We finally made it to the blind.... He was calm as we talked about the massive deer we got to see. i convinced him he would be back again and we would see more deer tonight.

The doe started to wander out at 200 plus yards.... Then a few smaller yearlings headed to us. 30 minutes later we counted 28 deer, with 6 of those within 8 feet of us! A small buck and five doe stayed in front of us making us unable to talk!!!.... A nice 8 point walked out of the tree line within 50 yards...

A tap on the shoulder and he was mounted ans steady.... Parker said... let me know when little buck puts hi head down to eat again.... another tap...and BOOM!

[Broken External Image]

This is Parker's third buck of his short hunting life...but he is a nice one!

As we were driving home to show his dad.... He told me... "I'm glad I didn't get that big one.... He's to big for someone as young as me!" What a kid! Can't wait to get him out again!

the phone picture is lousy... but I have better on the camera and will post later.

When my wife dropped off Parker at his house.... He said that was the best weekend he has ever had... He asked... are all your weekends like this!?

She replied...OF COURSE!

PJ

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bout made me shed a tear!

Great story and the smile on his face is priceless. Make sure that Parker knows even after 20 years of hunting, buck fever still runs strong!

Thank you for passing on our hunting heritage!

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow very cool. Looking forward to the day when my kiddos can keep quiet and still long enough to see anything.

Out of curiousity Red Earth...where do you hunt?

Just west of you about an hour or so in Perry on family land.

I wasn't allowed to call anyone about his deer either! We were about an hour late for left over turkey dinner this evening and he wanted to show up and show the family!

He only went about 40 yards. The 270 did the job! After a quick bite and a lot of story telling we headed out to dress and skin the buck..... We are never going to hear the end of this story.... a perfect heart shot! It was tough getting that BIG FAT HEAD in and out of the truck all weekend!

PJ

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that was Bigun. That is a great buck. Congrats to you and the kid.

Thanks! We were pretty fired up for sure! I am a poor judge on score size...but I am going to guess close to 130. Will get him measured tomorrow.

When we finally got him hung up... it was evident this was an older deer. You could count all the vertebra in his spine and his hips were as bony as a milk cow!

His dad, our local GW, pulled his jaw and said he was the oldest he has ever seen. I would have liked to seen this one in his prime.

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom