Toughness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most can't get off their recliner to do anything but eat.
It's amazing how being overweight will sap your internal and external strength. Age can be a small factor, but I know some 80 years olds that do nothing more than sit in a chair and lift 5lb weights dozens of times as their daily workout because they cant walk. Others walk or ride bicycles.
Nothing will extend your lifespan more than physical activity and a balanced diet.

This is so true. John Andrews taught us how to mine beach gold at Nome. During the mining season he spent 12 to 14 hours 6 days a week shoveling into his beach box sluice. On the seventh day he did concentrate cleanups and laundry. In the winter John retired to Arizona where he had another mining claim. He was 84 years old.

Bill Munz would let us come out to his old bucketline dredge and show us how it worked. For the most part he ran the whole operation by himself. He invited us out to go scouting some good moose hunting sites at the end of the mining season. I'd have declined if I'd known we were going to be hiking 20 miles across the tundra. Bill was also an accomplished pilot. Unfortunately his plane was almost as old as he was and due to a mechanical issue he had to set it down in the tundra on the way to the Omilak silver mine.

In recounting the event Bill said "I was able to crawl into the back of the plane and turn on the ELT. After waiting about 15 minutes and realizing no one was coming I determined to rescue myself."
He retrieved his back pack and rifle. He told me he coulda hiked back to Nome or continued on to the mine. He choose to go to the mine. He said he'd made it about 18 miles when a helicopter appeared and circled around him before landing. He recounted a State Trooper got out and asked him if that was his plane that was upside down. He said the trooper told him they were there to rescue him. Bill told him that he'd already rescued himself but if they'd fly him onto the mine he'd be much appreciative. Bill was only 79.

I've met lots of characters like that over the years. They all shared the same common trait. Lots of physical activity.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The movie WallE predicted this years ago lol sadly

View attachment 190311

Good Grief!!!!

Amazing how that guy looks like me....

....my hair is short and receding too. Maybe I'm not that fat, but at times (like trying to get off the floor), I feel that I am.

However, the wife and I still try to get out and walk 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 miles a day. Well, except for now while working on son's house.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Eliminate al the "safety nets" that we have allowed to be constructed in the name of compassion. There are few consequences for bad choices these days, and stupid, selfish behavior is tolerated and even rewarded.

Men have determined that eating bacon and watching television sports are manly, worthwhile activities and have substituted participation with observation. The reward of a satisfying plate of meat and fat is easy to obtain, without the effort required by a hunter or farmer.

Women are entitled and have been deemed beautiful creatures regardless of how much they physically deteriorate from inactivity and overeating. Have a bunch of bastard children? Taxpayers will gladly foot the bill.

Should someone be so practical as to suggest a physical intervention to reduce the burden on society, that person is deemed the problem, not the parasitic child bearer.

I have zero doubt that our coming economic collapse will straighten many of these deviant actions out, but it won't be fun. It'll make the ones that are left tougher, though.

I'll have to see if I can find the interview and honestly the guy's name escapes me even. He was discussing the "demasculinization" of men on TV, movies, etc. I hadn't really noticed but it's there right in our faces. The lumberjack man is no more, only males with skinny jeans who eat tofu, lettuce and poached eggs will be seen as the norm for masculinity.

My 17yo daughter and I have discussed this a few times actually over the last few months. She's 5' 2" 120lbs...pole vaults, shoots trap, plays basketball, carries over a 4.0 GPA. 3A high school. She's told me more than once that there are few to no boys there who are the type that can fix something if it's broke, is capable of problem solving during any kind of group work, or has a job that requires any kind of manual dexterity other than standing or even has a job at all even in the summer let alone during the school year. We're fairly rural too, so I know that influence to work should be there. She's helped me change gears in her jeep axles, put in a new fuel system front to back in a 66' Ford Bronco, and I didn't have to force her to help me with any of it, and then won't miss a school dance or a chance to wear a formal dress either.

Also under the same roof is my 13yo son, 5' 10" 160lbs, coordinated, athletic, would rather run over than around you on the football field or basketball court. Just as smart as his sister, but less motivated in academics (still makes As and Bs but rarely studies or makes much effort to make all As) and definitely less motivated to work. He will work if asked, can fix just about anything or solve anything you ask him to but will rarely take on the job himself without being asked. Pretty interesting personality differences and work ethics under the same roof, with the same influences and parenting.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly.

And what was our founders attitude towards "standing armies"?

Apparently they weren't too serious about it. The constitution was ratified in 1788 by nine states and in 1789 president George Washington got the new congress to recognize the US Army under terms of the constitution. President Washington was a huge proponent of a standing army.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Physical toughness might be achieved with mandatory PE in first thru twelfth grades. Throw in team challenges with both winner/looser.

Mental toughness, no one does it better than the military. In boot camp, I witnessed a very physically fit young man that had been broken mentally. I was assigned to watch him during mess and maintenance duty in the squad bay. He was completely broken and did a lot of sitting on his footlocker sobbing and wanting to go home to his mother. The Marine Corps eventually obliged him. No one that I'm aware of felt sorry for him. We looked at him as basically a pu**y.
Marine Corps bootcamp is only 13 weeks in/out processing included. Try living it for 15 and a half years. My Dad was a drill Sergeant for 12 yrs, at home "I wont" , "i can't" or "i quit" were not words in the vocabulary. It felt like bootcamp everyday. He told me more than once that I may hate him, but one day I would understand. Would give anything for 1 day with him again.
Tried enlisting in the Marines 2 times Army once they kept finding a medical condition that excluded me. It has never caused me a problem, 37 yrs later it still pisses me off.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I didn't say I was for it, I simply answered the question with what might be one way to reinstate toughness.

I’d like to see some of these “woke” fat boys climb off the bus at MCRD. Many of them would be crying for momma by the end of the first day. They are real men online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Top Bottom