Traffic Signs in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't flip you the finger, but I will ignore you. If I have room to pull over I will. But I'm not gonna pull over into the safe distance between 2 cars in the outside lane. AND, I especially HATE drivers that are all fired up impatient to get around and when you let them around they pull over into your lane and slow down forcing you to disengage your cruise.

You think Oklahoma is bad?!?! You ain't driven in Chicago!!!

I was passing thru Chicago on I-90 in a semi. As I passed by O'hare in the left lane, there is a curved ramp merging from the left for drivers leaving the airport. A full-size van was coming on to 90 via that ramp and was rapidly running out of room. I had no place to go with traffic on my right. I couldn't lock it up, or I'd been on the news for causing a bug pileup. I did the best I could by hammering it, so that the van bounced off my trailer tandems instead of farther forward which would have caused more damage. The van never yielded or tried to stop until impact. They just didn't see the danger. We drove up to the next toll booth to call LE. The officer said this happened fairly often at that location....

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've learned not to road rage over the years. Probably due to driving semi and taking some defensive driver courses. (SMITH system) Now, it's rare that I get caught by surprise by the amateur drivers. Drivers signal their imminent bad driving decisions by head movement and glancing at the mirrors. You can't keep them from putting you at risk, but you just have to learn how to outdrive them.
My favorite on-ramp scenario is when I'm in a semi, rt lane, and traffic is coming on. They get mad when I don't move left one lane, but they can't see that car right next to the tractor in the middle lane. I'll adjust my speed, up or down to help make things smooth, but if they get run down the shoulder for failing to yield, so be it.

coveyjt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven all over the world and I think the worst drivers are in Saudi. There are traffic circles every where and they have no idea how to use them. They will just plow in and expect the people in the circle to move out of there way. Or the worst is exiting a highway. They will be in the far left lane and cross all lanes to make the exit. And they do this without looking. They believe if they get into an accident it is the will of Allah.

But what I hate more than anything is tailgaters. I am not a slowpoke and usually go either the speed limit or a little more. But if you get on my butt and I will slow down to 5-10 under.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven all over the world and I think the worst drivers are in Saudi. There are traffic circles every where and they have no idea how to use them. They will just plow in and expect the people in the circle to move out of there way. Or the worst is exiting a highway. They will be in the far left lane and cross all lanes to make the exit. And they do this without looking. They believe if they get into an accident it is the will of Allah.

But what I hate more than anything is tailgaters. I am not a slowpoke and usually go either the speed limit or a little more. But if you get on my butt and I will slow down to 5-10 under.

I'll second this! Dubai as well.

I don't know what's worse either... taking one of the beater piece of crap compact car taxi's and pushing it to it's upper limit or taking a luxury car BMW 7 series taxi and having them go twice as fast but with A/C.

I will say this though too... if you've never taken a Jeepney ride through the jungle in the Phillipines then you're missing out on a wonderfully beautiful near death experience. If you survive it, make sure and ride a motorcycle sidecar taxi back to civilization.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was passing thru Chicago on I-90 in a semi. As I passed by O'hare in the left lane, there is a curved ramp merging from the left for drivers leaving the airport. A full-size van was coming on to 90 via that ramp and was rapidly running out of room. I had no place to go with traffic on my right. I couldn't lock it up, or I'd been on the news for causing a bug pileup. I did the best I could by hammering it, so that the van bounced off my trailer tandems instead of farther forward which would have caused more damage. The van never yielded or tried to stop until impact. They just didn't see the danger. We drove up to the next toll booth to call LE. The officer said this happened fairly often at that location....

I know exactly where you're talking about!! Chicago's drivers are nucking futs!!!! :screwy: I always hated it when I had to pick up friends or family at O'Hare. I lived in Wisconsin. Taking the toll road from Rockford east wasn't so bad until about 30 miles from O'Hare from then on it was crazy.

coveyjt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second this! Dubai as well.

I don't know what's worse either... taking one of the beater piece of crap compact car taxi's and pushing it to it's upper limit or taking a luxury car BMW 7 series taxi and having them go twice as fast but with A/C.

I will say this though too... if you've never taken a Jeepney ride through the jungle in the Phillipines then you're missing out on a wonderfully beautiful near death experience. If you survive it, make sure and ride a motorcycle sidecar taxi back to civilization.

I did like the camels sitting in the back of pickups. Priceless

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Me too!! Now more so that I have been rear-ended and have a permanent neck injury from it. Bastards ... Now if anybody tailgates me I shift into 1st and they see my middle finger in the back window. And we stay just like that until they pass me. Dullards ...

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think Oklahoma is bad?!?! You ain't driven in Chicago!!!

I have! I was forged in the fires of the Kennedy, the Eisenhower, and the Reagan.

The difference is that Okies have no idea that they're about to swerve into your lane and hit you. People from Chicago know, they just don't care.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
driving for over 20 OTR has been fun! try the big apple or bean town during the holiday weekend rush! they don't care and your in the way! my best was down in the lone star when the lane to the right was closed and a jackwagon in a high end German rag top was passing everyone on the right.. got up next to me and I was in the lane with barrels between us and he starts smacking them! after the 4th one he stopped and blew down the shoulder in the work zone and tells me I should have yielded to let him in.. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom