Traffic Signs in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I've moved up here, I've been amazed at the drivers of Oklahoma. (Actually before I moved here as well, but was only here once a week) I've thought that maybe I was doing something wrong, so I pulled down the Oklahoma Drivers Manual, which I find to be a little incomplete (and slightly ambiguous in at least one case).

My confusion stems mostly from yields, merges, turns on red and now, traffic circles(which I really just an extension of the previous two).

I would assume that the best place to get answers would be to call or drop by DPS somewhere, but for the heck of it, I'll toss these out..

Traffic circles:
Fact: Everyone has a yield sign.
Fact: Traffic is designed to travel counter clockwise (in this circle at least)
Assumption: You yield to traffic in the circle to your left that is in the circle. If you're in something that for whatever reason, cannot merge into the traffic coming from the left (regardless of intersection that it entered), you wait. Or you buy something faster.

Result: I had a conversation from an agent of an organization that I hold high respects for and was told that traffic circles *should* be treated as a four way stop and you oughta yield to the intersection to the right (if they've been there a while and it can cause traffic to back up). I can understand his frustration at having been stuck there a while (I'd just made a couple of circles around the County offices myself, waiting for every light I hit, on my lunch hour). Emphasis is mine.

Thoughts: Yielding to a person to the right in this case seems incorrect. I slowed, watched for traffic to the left and continued on as the traffic on the right was at a stop as I started to enter the intersection.

On Ramps with no yield signs:
Assumption: Should be treated as if there was a yield sign.
Possible Fact: A sign is present as shown on page 5-5, 1st row / column
OK Driver's Manual: Merging traffic should yield, though if the yellow sign is in place, established traffic should watch for merging traffic and yield to them as necessary.

Thoughts: This is contradictory to me. Merging traffic should yield or properly merge. (Don't get me wrong, if there's heavy traffic and people signal, I try to let them in as long as they're not idiots. If it's clear traffic, they can find plenty of space and I shouldn't need to do anything)

Ramps with Yield signs:
Fact: There's a yield sign. You should yield. Because, you know, there's a sign there.
Assumption: People should yield.

Thoughts: About 80% of drivers don't seem to think this applies to them, esp at the ramps of NB I35 and WB I240 or at the exit of I44 for Northbound Hwy 74. WTF people?

Notes: Any number followed by the symbol % should be taken lightly salted.

Am I really not getting this stuff?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should come to Edmond, where the use of turn signals is banned, slower traffic keeps left, 45 MPH speed limit signs on main roads mean 35 MPH and 25 MPH speed limit signs in my neighborhood mean 35 MPH. Stop signs mean yield and yield signs mean stop.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I think people think that the yeild sign means, on-coming traffic yeilds to them. I'm sick of people just haul'n a** and bulling their way into traffic with no regard if you have to slow down.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want to get started on people who cruise in the left lane. Or all the bastards who don't pull over for emergency vehicles but *will* stop for 10 minutes for a funeral.

I'll be honest, I could have been a little friendlier and slowed some to like 10 instead of 20ish (I wasn't looking at the speedo, but think it was <25MPH) and an effort to give him a go, but I get so tired to trying to be the nice guy and people just being idiots. Like staying right, not blocking intersections, ect ect. I have fast cars, not because I like to speed, but because I want to merge properly.. :) That's my excuse anyways.

After the guy hit my Magnum (a few months ago) for not yielding, I pulled it down to make sure that I wasn't actually in the wrong. I mean, if so many people are are driving in a certain manner, it must be me, right?? Wait.. No, maybe not.. :)

Last edited:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH HAI I'M MERGING WITH NO SIGNAL WERE ALL YOU GUISE DOING 65 OR 70MPH LOL I'LL DO 43 TILL I'M FINISHED WITH THIS PHONE CALL THEN I'LL DO LIKE 90 LOL

OH SORRY DID YOU NOT EXPECT ME TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP AT THE END OF AN ON RAMP APPROACHING LIGHT TRAFFIC LOL

I saw a show/documentary once that was all about what creates traffic jams on limited access highways. Had a bunch of footage from California and Germany. Really eye opening how the smallest stupid action causes a chain reaction that can bring traffic to a dead stop way back down the line. Oklahoma drivers need to be duct taped to a folding chair and left to watch it on a giant projector screen in Wal-Mart parking lots until it fawking sinks in.

Yeah, I don't want to get started on people who cruise in the left lane. Or all the bastards who don't pull over for emergency vehicles but *will* stop for 10 minutes for a funeral.

I drove behind a guy the other day in the left lane on 169 from 61st street to Pine street. He was doing 56-58 in the left lane. I flashed my high beams at him every 1/2 mile and he still had NO IDEA I was even behind him. At that point I was just trying to see if I could wake him up. By the way, flashing your lights to pass was in my copy of the Oklahoma Driver's Manual. As were the rules for lane usage on a limited access highway.

I put a lot of miles on the highways in/around Tulsa and the single most dangerous situations I see on the road are caused by people blocking the passing lane. They block it, then the tailgating and erratic passing on the right begins. GTFO of the way. It's that simple.

Like I said in another thread, child molesters, poachers and left lane campers must have their own special hell. I really need to believe that to remain happy.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...Really eye opening how the smallest stupid action causes a chain reaction that can bring traffic to a dead stop way back the line.

Yep, it's called the "accordion effect."

By the way, flashing your lights to pass was in my copy of the Oklahoma Driver's Manual. As were the rules for lane usage on a limited access highway.

You must not be from Oklahoma.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was 15 1/2 when I took Driver's Ed and read the manual. I'm 28 now, so I couldn't tell you what information/rules were or weren't included at that time. I can't remember where I learned that slower traffic keeps right (even if you're going 10 mph over the speed limit, if someone is coming up behind you, you're not going slow, but you're still going slower, so move right), always signal your intended turns/merges/lane changes, and the rule of following no closer than 2 seconds behind the car in front of you. I'm not sure if that was in the book, or learned from my parents, or a combo of both, but they seem like common sense rules to me. The fact that Oklahomans violate just about every road rule out there signifies either a poor level of driver education thanks to the state, or we're just a bunch of oblivious, self-absorbed, idiotic morons.

A person's biggest blind spot will always be towards the rear passenger side of a car. Not moving right for faster traffic forces passing cars into your blind spot, creating a much more dangerous situation than just a person going 5 mph faster than you. Those who do not move over always argue that they were going 5 over the speed limit so they shouldn't have to move over and that the person wanting them to move over is just selfish, when in fact they're the selfish ones for not making the highway a little bit safer by moving over. I know I get upset when people don't move right for me, but I'll be the first person to extend that courtesy to others who may be traveling faster than I, so they can throw that selfish argument right out the window.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, flashing your lights to pass was in my copy of the Oklahoma Driver's Manual. As were the rules for lane usage on a limited access highway.

Quoting from memory from the owner's manual to my 2004 Chevy Silverado -- "Your vehicle is equipped with the option to pull the high beam lever back to signal to the driver of the car in front of you that you wish to pass."

Yet every time I try this I get the finger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom