Trail camera near Atoka snaps a mountain lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going to end this right here. I'm not judging anybody. I was simply brought up to respect nature, not every creature put on this earth needs to have a bullseye on it. Every member of my family hunts, including me, but some things oughta' just be left alone. We can go back and fourth on here for hundreds of pages arguing about this, but neither side will get anywhere. So i'll just shut my mouth now.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I hunt in Custer City and the game warden has confirmed that there are mountain lion(s) there too. I tell you what, I definately thought twice about my route through the canyon to my tripod knowing that the land owner has seen it on my lease! Apparently therenis a kid in town that has some bottle calf's and a couple of them came up missing and after an investigation it was determined mountain kitty!

I've also heard a rumor that I believe to be true that the wildlife dept. Brought these cats in a long time ago to contol the deer population an until just recently they would even admit to there being any in Oklahoma.

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wild and Civilization don't mix. If wild animals were in a place where they couldn't go anyplace else, and people could go visit them when they wanted, like a giant Zoo, it would be fine. The problem is, wild animals become a nuisance when they come onto your property and do damage. I'm a Rancher, and I have had extensive damage done by wild hogs to my Pasture. I lost a good Dog to a Mountain Lion. Coyotes have Killed new born calves. Wild animals are nice to look at and hunt, but when they start to do personal damage to you, then they are not so nice.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also heard a rumor that I believe to be true that the wildlife dept. Brought these cats in a long time ago to contol the deer population an until just recently they would even admit to there being any in Oklahoma.

Possibly one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard in my life. This isn't the first time I have heard the "rumor", but it just seems more rediculous each time. If the wildlife department wanted to control the deer population, all it takes is a spotlight and a rifle. First of all, how many cats do you think it would take to actually put any kind of measurable dent in the deer population? I don't think the ODWC could secretly gather 20+ mountain lions, release them throughout the state and keep it under wrap. That is just absurd. There are much better forms of population control than to import a species that you cannot control.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

K-bob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is from the OK Dept of Wildlife website under the Hunting link, then frequently asked questions, then "bad rumors":

"BAD RUMORS

I heard the Wildlife Department was stocking mountain lions across the state to control the deer populations. It that true?

Answer: Never have, never will."

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they wanted to hurt the deer population they could stop the killing coyotes for a couple of years. Those bastiges but a heck of a dent in the fawn population every spring. And for that reason all of you people that want to turn your nose at predator hunters should instead be thankful. I know that I appreciate every one of those suckers that are killed. Who knows which 'yote will eat the next state record buck...or the next set of backstrap headed for my freezer :)

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen mountain lions in various places here in northwestern Ok. I've never shot one though. If I have a shot opportunity while I'm out hunting something else I'll take it. If a mountain lion is in my close vicinity, then it presents a danger to me. Anyone who believes otherwise is either arrogant of thier own skills or is ignorant of the cats killing and stalking ability.

Latest posts

Top Bottom