Trimming brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the feed back gents.
Picked up a RCBS pro manual at the LGS for more than I should have paid. So far My fingers are much happier and speed has increased two fold easy.
dennishoddy, I am looking forward to hearing about your solenoid setup, be sure to post pics if you can!

Still working on it. Everything is done, doing some more redneck engineering, and I'll post pics. Fun project. :D

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Blitze....you really don't have to have the size die in station 1. The die in the trimmer is also a full length size die. Yes the neck does have to be expanded out a little bit, but that's it. (I found this out when a Dillon tech was addressing my split case neck problem) I wasn't expanding the neck after trimming and was having trouble splitting case necks when I was seating bullets.

I have a dumb question for you or anyone else using the Dillon Rapidtrim. I have one and I want to know what you use to connect a vacuum hose to it. My shop vac hose is the same diameter as the chip collector shroud outlet. I have been using tape and want something a little easier. (Less redneck)

I have only had it since last summer.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Blitze....you really don't have to have the size die in station 1. The die in the trimmer is also a full length size die. Yes the neck does have to be expanded out a little bit, but that's it. (I found this out when a Dillon tech was addressing my split case neck problem) I wasn't expanding the neck after trimming and was having trouble splitting case necks when I was seating bullets.

The problem is depriming the cases in the first stage, it is the only one with a hole for the spent primer to drop out of. I could just use a depriming die, but had the spare size die for depriming duty anyway. I found out with split necks and shaved bullets that I did have to expand the neck after the dillon trim die. I have two of them and both size the neck a few thousandths more than necessary.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a dumb question for you or anyone else using the Dillon Rapidtrim. I have one and I want to know what you use to connect a vacuum hose to it. My shop vac hose is the same diameter as the chip collector shroud outlet. I have been using tape and want something a little easier. (Less redneck)

I made an adaptor with thin wall PVC and a heat gun. You can do marvelous things to PVC pipe and a heat gen. That said, I don't use the vacuum half the time. I just periodically clean out the shavings from the blue adaptor and keep on trimming. I have done as many as 2000 in one sitting. I use the home made spray lube for the cases when processing 223 brass. It consists of liquid lanolin from the health food store and 93% isopropal alcohol from walmart. Put in your favorite spray bottle and shake like heck before each use. I usually tumble them after processing to remove the lube.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a pvc collar and using a hole saw to cut the inside out to the right size. I was hoping there was an easier way like some type of adapter that I could get from shop vac. Dillon should throw in an adapter. I may try without the vacuum and see how it goes. I posted this question on the forums on Dillons web site and am hoping to get an answer from them. If there is a neat fix from them I will let you know.

Thanks

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen the recipes for home made lube and want to try it. Which health food store did you go to for the lanolin? You can use that in the mix for Ed's Red home made gun cleaning solvent too. I use Imperial sizing wax.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is depriming the cases in the first stage, it is the only one with a hole for the spent primer to drop out of. I could just use a depriming die, but had the spare size die for depriming duty anyway. I found out with split necks and shaved bullets that I did have to expand the neck after the dillon trim die. I have two of them and both size the neck a few thousandths more than necessary.

When I trim, I use a Lee universal decapping die. Dillon won't replace the decapping pins. I've broken too many on primer crimped military brass.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I use the hose on my mini vac. It sits on top of an old military footlocker next to my reloading bench.

Latest posts

Top Bottom