Trimming brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAs anyone used a Little crow trimmer before ? If so what is a tip to set one up for 223 ?

It takes a little back and forth adjustment to get it just right. Start out a little long and slowly walk it in. Just barely move it. Once you get it right check the set screws every now and then for tightness. Mine has stayed adjusted through several thousand rounds. I think the screws need to set after a few tightenings.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAs anyone used a Little crow trimmer before ? If so what is a tip to set one up for 223 ?

I use the Little Crow for 223 and 308 (Worlds Finest Trimmer, WFT at Sinclair) with a cordless drill. Works great! I've worn out several Lymans and was thinking about a Giraud when I found these. I second Madpap on the adjustments.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a variety of trimmers that I have acquired over the last 40+ years of loading. Right now my favorite is my Dillon rapid trim set up on a dillon RL-550 just for doing 223. I start out with a standard size/deprime die in station one, then the trimmer in station two, then another sizer die in station three with the die backed out and the expander without a depriming pin to open the neck back to where it should be. The dillon trimmer sizer die reduces the neck too much by itself. This is by far the fastest way to do large quantities of 223 that I have found. I did about 5K on the last batch I did. I anneal the necks as well about every third firing. I also have an RCBS motorized trimmer and the aux station to deburr etc. It works well, but is not as fast and doesn't size and deprime at the same time. For small quantities, I use the Lee system with a drill. I have a Forster manual trimmer and a Lyman universal trimmer as well. The Forster setup is used mainly for neck reaming or turning when converting cases down is caliber.
I love this site, I am laways learning something new... Blitzfike

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a variety of trimmers that I have acquired over the last 40+ years of loading. Right now my favorite is my Dillon rapid trim set up on a dillon RL-550 just for doing 223. I start out with a standard size/deprime die in station one, then the trimmer in station two, then another sizer die in station three with the die backed out and the expander without a depriming pin to open the neck back to where it should be. The dillon trimmer sizer die reduces the neck too much by itself. This is by far the fastest way to do large quantities of 223 that I have found. I did about 5K on the last batch I did. I anneal the necks as well about every third firing. I also have an RCBS motorized trimmer and the aux station to deburr etc. It works well, but is not as fast and doesn't size and deprime at the same time. For small quantities, I use the Lee system with a drill. I have a Forster manual trimmer and a Lyman universal trimmer as well. The Forster setup is used mainly for neck reaming or turning when converting cases down is caliber.
I love this site, I am laways learning something new... Blitzfike

Hey Blitze....you really don't have to have the size die in station 1. The die in the trimmer is also a full length size die. Yes the neck does have to be expanded out a little bit, but that's it. (I found this out when a Dillon tech was addressing my split case neck problem) I wasn't expanding the neck after trimming and was having trouble splitting case necks when I was seating bullets.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the RCBS electric trim-pro. I added the three way cutter to make my AR loads quicker. It works well, but I have to tighten everything up every so many rounds or the brass will wobble and chew up the mouth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom