Trout season is upon us!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to fly fish, it looks so peaceful and relaxing. That is all I want right now, little peace and relaxation. Christmas and relatives are the farthest thing from that. So I may just say 'screw you' to the relates and go fishing!

ultimatesooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to catch em to cook to on the smoker and don't have any fly fishing gear yet so all of fishing is with an ul spinning combo. I use a #6 hook with a powerbait trout worm and salmon egg or powerbait egg on the hook. I put a couple of small split shot about 12 to 18 inches above the hook and drag the splitshot along the bottom.

I have also caught them on small rooster tails, spoons, and super doopers.

If you go down there, the scotty's store has a great selection of anything you might possibly need and the prices aren't much higher than bass pro or academy

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can get loose on Wednesday shoot me a PM. If you have a rod and reel I will fix you up with power bait and hooks, you might want a couple 1/16oz rooster tails if you go to the store.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to fly fish, it looks so peaceful and relaxing. That is all I want right now, little peace and relaxation. Christmas and relatives are the farthest thing from that. So I may just say 'screw you' to the relates and go fishing!

Your right it looks so peaceful, and relaxing.
The guy standing in the stream with an orvis rod in the $1000 rig, $400 waders, 20 pounds of dry fly, wet fly, lube, dessicant, clippers, line tyers, $200 vest, and the rest would make one comatose looking.

Actually just kidding a little. There are some that have that and a lot more.
Rednecks like us can invest a couple hundred bucks and have every thing you need.
I had nobody to mentor me, when I started fly fishing, and used this forum, and UTube to get a start.
Went to Broken Bow a couple of years ago, and hired a guide. Basically told him I didn't know squat, and didn't care if I caught a fish or not. I needed to learn technique, and presentation.
It was the day the rain started that destroyed the LMF trout fishery. We fished in the rain, and I learned a lot. He was a good teacher. If I remember right he has a trout fishing shop in Houchitown, and is a member/president of the LMF perservation club or something like that. Everybody we ran on to knew his name while fishing.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, was it Rob Woodruff? Or Jesse King? Jesse and wife own Three rivers fly shop. Rob is a guide and Entomologist that works with three rivers. He also writes the fishing reports you see for LMF on Orvis fishing reports web page. Great guys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JCW355 said:
Dennis, was it Rob Woodruff? Or Jesse King? Jesse and wife own Three rivers fly shop. Rob is a guide and Entomologist that works with three rivers. He also writes the fishing reports you see for LMF on Orvis fishing reports web page. Great guys.

It was Jesse King. Very nice gentleman.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the Blue was not so kind today. The water is off colored compared to normal so I am thinking that was the hang up. I did manage a limit but worked hard for every one of them! The crowds were out in full force today too. Headed back on Friday for a rematch.

ultimatesooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was tough for us yesterday, I got there about 8am and started fishing around the 1st waterfalls above the hwy 7 bridge. I hooked 5 and only landed 2. A friend, his wife, and little brother made it there about 9 but we only managed one more fish after they got there and his wife caught it

Last edited:

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better day today, stayed North of 7 to avoid the hoards of people South. Caught a limit pretty quick and had the pleasure of a 12" small mouth, bluegills and a carp! I had to tell my son that all we needed was a cat to have the Blue River slam :). Great day all around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom