Truck haggling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been researching used truck prices because I'm looking to make a purchase in the next couple of months. For those of you with experience, how much haggling have you done with a private party or dealer? It blows my mind that just about every truck I see listed (dealer and private party) is well above KBB values.

I figured trucks are very much in demand around here, but didn't think it would be 30-40% above KBB as it is in some cases.

Feel free to share your frustrations or any pointers. /endrant

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With lower interest rates on new vehicles, its sometimes cheaper to get new than used. Blows my mind, but between overpaying, rolling old notes (upside down) into the purchase price, and having got stuck with a higher interest rate, you can more likely get exactly what you want, new, with warranty, for close to what a used truck would cost.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new GMC truck a few months ago. Keep looking at the internet for good deals and you might get lucky. Also if you can get last years model
you can really save. Used prices are really high it seems to me. With new truck you get warranty, free maintanence for 2 years etc. May get rebate
too.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find what truck you want and learn it's problems. Stay on the look out all the time for one. Cash talks I got my silverado that was 7 years old for 5000, just talk to the people and you can find out if they will budge, my cause the guy mentioned he was about to move and his wife didn't want to deal with moving. The truck too so I played the you want to keep your wife happy card.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So many things I could say about this thread but instead of being a smart a$$ I'll actually try to help.

First, decide what it is you really want, then go here and check the pricing.

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/Research/TradeInValues.aspx

The Black Book Clean trade in value is probably the best you can do from a dealer, at least that is where I would start. You have to be willing to walk away, don't fall in love with the first one you see and end up letting your emotions overrule common sense. If the seller won't come to what you are comfortable paying there will be another one show up just as good or better. Just have a little patience and keep looking.

Check these sites along with Craigslist daily, enter your zip code and what you are looking for then bookmark the search results.

http://www.cars.com/

http://www.carsdirect.com/

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a used crewcab truck and this is what I do. I get on autotrader.com and punch in all the features I want like V8, half ton, auto trans, max number of miles, etc. I was wanting a Ford but found out their resale is pretty high however the Dodges are a much better deal, though probably not quite as reliable as a Ford. Then I look on Edmunds about the various year truck reviews. I found out in 2009 Dodge came out with a new design that is very smooth riding and was the "Truck of the year". I don't want a first year production vehicle so I went back to Autotrader to seek out a 2010 or later Ram and found several SLT crewcabs with under 75K miles for 15-16 grand. Most of the best deals were not in Oklahoma but Dallas/Ft Worth had some really good deals.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So many things I could say about this thread but instead of being a smart a$$ I'll actually try to help.

First, decide what it is you really want, then go here and check the pricing.

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/Research/TradeInValues.aspx

The Black Book Clean trade in value is probably the best you can do from a dealer, at least that is where I would start. You have to be willing to walk away, don't fall in love with the first one you see and end up letting your emotions overrule common sense. If the seller won't come to what you are comfortable paying there will be another one show up just as good or better. Just have a little patience and keep looking.

This right here. I just picked up a used '13 Ram with under 7k miles on it for about two grand below the Black Book clean trade in value. Took my time and walked away from it twice. I let the dealer call me back...and didn't let them hose me on a trade in (they tried to give me $1k for my car....I sold it on CL in less than 24 hours for $6k).

dugsok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This right here. I just picked up a used '13 Ram with under 7k miles on it for about two grand below the Black Book clean trade in value. Took my time and walked away from it twice. I let the dealer call me back...and didn't let them hose me on a trade in (they tried to give me $1k for my car....I sold it on CL in less than 24 hours for $6k).

Now you have made an A in super horse trading 101

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a used crewcab truck and this is what I do. I get on autotrader.com and punch in all the features I want like V8, half ton, auto trans, max number of miles, etc. I was wanting a Ford but found out their resale is pretty high however the Dodges are a much better deal, though probably not quite as reliable as a Ford. Then I look on Edmunds about the various year truck reviews. I found out in 2009 Dodge came out with a new design that is very smooth riding and was the "Truck of the year". I don't want a first year production vehicle so I went back to Autotrader to seek out a 2010 or later Ram and found several SLT crewcabs with under 75K miles for 15-16 grand. Most of the best deals were not in Oklahoma but Dallas/Ft Worth had some really good deals.

I have had precisely the opposite experience with Ford and Ram. Ram has a stereotype from the past that is hard to break but they have been very good trucks to me. If they start producing crap, then I will look to other options but for now they are the best truck out there IMO.

I will also concur with the "walk away" strategy. The best deals I have gotten were when I just walked away. For them to have a sale so close but walk out the door does a good job at motivating them to move the unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom