Tulsa man shoots intruder...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa man shoots intruder breaking into his home

By NICOLE MARSHALL World Staff Writer
Published: 7/22/2011 2:25 AM
Last Modified: 7/22/2011 8:04 AM

Antonio Tyes heard the sound of glass breaking in his daughter's bedroom Thursday as he talked on the telephone to a relative who had just lost her son to violence.

Tyes grabbed his gun and went to investigate. Seeing an intruder crawling through the window, he fired several shots, striking the intruder in the arm, authorities said.

"When I saw him, he was halfway in. He had something in his hand," Tyes said. "I thought it was a gun, so I fired at him, striking him."

The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office was summoned to Tyes' home in the 200 block of West 61st Street North about 11:40 a.m., Sgt. Shannon Clark said.

The shooting victim - a teenager - and two other teenagers who had been waiting outside the window had run from the scene.

Deputies tracked a blood trail leading from the home and captured three teenagers around the block, authorities said.

Tyes was interviewed by deputies, and his report was documented.

Under Oklahoma's Make My Day Law, Clark said, "it appears he thought he faced harm or serious danger, and they were invading his dwelling, and he had a right to protect himself, ... which he did."

The reports will be forwarded to the District Attorney's Office, which will make a final determination as to whether the shooting was justified.

The teenager who was shot was treated and then taken to the Juvenile Bureau Detention Center. The other two youths, ages 16 and 17, were arrested on first-degree burglary complaints.

It wasn't the first time Tyes' home had been broken into. Luckily, his young daughter was not home and in the bedroom at the time, he said.

Tyes said he was startled to see someone crawling through his window despite the burglar bars that were intended to keep intruders out.

"They cut through the bars," he said. "It was the second time my house has been broken into, and they came in the same way."

During the last burglary, the intruder stole things such as jewelry, electronics and power tools.

When Tyes bought the house, it already had burglar bars. But after two break-ins, they don't make him feel protected anymore, he said.

"Not when they cut them off twice, they don't."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/specialpr...id=450&articleid=20110722_11_A11_CUTLIN573816

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTG homeowner. Punka** teen or adult, they deserve whatever they get. It's amazing how a teen is willing to risk their life for a few bucks of someone elses stuff. If your bored in summer, GET A JOB!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man all I can say is im proud of the home owner. On the same token if he fired multiple shots and only struck a limb (i assume based on the info presented in the thread) he needs to get to the range a bit more so he can hit the center of mass more consistently. I wasnt there so I dont know how difficult the BG's body position was to land a solid hit but a couple inches off the limb and no telling what he may be hitting (hopefully the others thugs outside).

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on the homeowner! A**hat got off easy if you ask me. Especially the two that were standing outside. Maybe now they'll realize the consequences of their actions.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two idiots outside are lucky their buddy in the window didn't take several COM hits or they may be charged with murder being a part of the crime that got their buddy killed.

Either way the gun was obviously effective here regardless of effective fire so good on the home owner to at least have the gun at his disposal.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't anything more than a graze or light flesh wound if he went straight from the hospital to the detention center.

Too bad, really... he'll end up using that scar as bragging rights with his friends and he'll end up with more "street cred" out of the deal in the end.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on the homeowner! A**hat got off easy if you ask me. Especially the two that were standing outside. Maybe now they'll realize the consequences of their actions.

Grizzly do you really have that high of hopes for them? I hope this scared them straight but in reality they are probably just keep it up.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say good shot!! Have you ever tried to shoot at a moving target, especially after they hear the first shot. I am betting theren't aren't many here that can hit a moving target, much less at night, maybe with a light on, maybe not, through a dark window. I am pretty impressed with his shooting! These silohuettes are not standing still waiting to get shot at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom