Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes sir, that’s next in my load testing. I’ve been loading 1 1/4 oz 7.5, but I was checking my wad inventory yesterday to see if I have any WAA12SL to try a 1 oz load.:thumb:
A 3" or 3.5" max oz of #8 or #9 shot is dense. That's a lot of pieces of shot. 2oz of #8 is 820 pieces, #9 is 1170! If you can load a 3.5" 2 1/4oz of #9 that's just over 1300 pieces of shot!

http://www.drundel.com/shotshell/pelletcount.htm

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old Federal 3” 7.5 shot out of a M.A.D.D. choke tube is murder on turkeys.

When I first started turkey hunting I bought one of the Winchester NWTF guns (but not one of the the ones that were engraved, they sold out quick) and bought every known turkey choke and load known to man kind looking for the ultimate setup.

I’ve come to settle on that M.A.D.D. Choke, can’t remember off hand the constriction, and the Winchester Long Beard #4 3” shells.

Those pattern really well for me.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With exception to last year, the last handful or so I shot were with 3/4oz low brass 6s in a 28ga. I don’t think the high dollar turkey loads are really worth it unless you’re trying to shoot past 50 yards.

ETA: I own some high dollar turkey shells. And they work pretty dang good. But they aren’t necessary to success.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen less than ever, not on my lease or public. Going to scout my tail off to find a longbeard.

And shoot him with 3" #5 Longbeards, lol
It is weird how it is different all over the state. I have primarily hunted ducks in two spots this year and we heard gobbles and yelps all the time while in our blinds.

Not trying to anger you by what I am seeing but here is one picture of several:
View attachment 53408930119_f06984ff03_o.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen less than ever, not on my lease or public. Going to scout my tail off to find a longbeard.

And shoot him with 3" #5 Longbeards, lol

Same here, same places that once had huge flocks that completely disappeared a few years ago are still void except for one place. Just a hand full around there, see them some years and not on others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is weird how it is different all over the state. I have primarily hunted ducks in two spots this year and we heard gobbles and yelps all the time while in our blinds.

Not trying to anger you by what I am seeing but here is one picture of several:
View attachment 449386
The turkeys just migrate through my place, but when they show up, it’s usually for a week or two. I haven’t seen them since mid December, so I should be due a visit. If history repeats itself, they should be there consistently starting in late Feb/early March and hang around until at least the first week or so of May.

Latest posts

Top Bottom