Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone on here turkey hunt with the tungsten super shot ammo? :ooh2:
I use Hevi 5, 6, 7 rounds. I bought a bunch many years ago and going through that inventory. Out of a ten gauge that I use, I could get by with only lead but for one shot a year (thanks ODWC :cry11:) I will spend the $$$$.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overlook your high dollar waterfowl loads :) :) They're deadly on a naked turkey heads and necks.
The way I look at it, for all the money I spend to turkey hunt, I can spend $9 for one shell. That is not even 1/3 of what I spend on gas just to go once.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't overlook your high dollar waterfowl loads :) :) They're deadly on a naked turkey heads and necks.
i had some federal 3.5" steel BBs that looked exactly like the kent 3.5" lead 5s i used for turkeys. i killed two with those BBs by accident. i dont think the turkeys noticed it wasnt lead

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I look at it, for all the money I spend to turkey hunt, I can spend $9 for one shell. That is not even 1/3 of what I spend on gas just to go once.
I completely agree with this thought process, but I’ve always had a kind of obsession with seeing how cheap I can produce my own quality ammo. However, if I didn’t already have my inventory of shotgun reloading supplies, I would be doing the same thing as you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
i had some federal 3.5" steel BBs that looked exactly like the kent 3.5" lead 5s i used for turkeys. i killed two with those BBs by accident. i dont think the turkeys noticed it wasnt lead
Steel will just about pattern better than lead of the same shot size every time at any distance, just doesn't have much steam behind it past 30-40y.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I completely agree with this thought process, but I’ve always had a kind of obsession with seeing how cheap I can produce my own quality ammo. However, if I didn’t already have my inventory of shotgun reloading supplies, I would be doing the same thing as you.
Ever tried a tight turkey or trap choke with a skeet load 1oz of #9 shot? It's pretty impressive. If you think about the average trap clay when shooting trap is just over 30y away when hit and going away from the shooter at 42mph(if at a registered shoot). And those shooters dust them with 1oz of #7.5 or #8 shot. When you start considering all of that and the size of a turkey's head, high dollar turkey loads are pretty much a gimmick imo.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hevi 5, 6, 7 rounds. I bought a bunch many years ago and going through that inventory. Out of a ten gauge that I use, I could get by with only lead but for one shot a year (thanks ODWC :cry11:) I will spend the $$$$.
You make a great point, and now that I have the Encore “turkey” gun put together, I’m starting to question the logic of having a pretty much single use gun for what will probably be used one or two hunts a year. :rolleyes2

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever tried a tight turkey or trap choke with a skeet load 1oz of #9 shot? It's pretty impressive. If you think about the average trap clay when shooting trap is just over 30y away when hit and going away from the shooter at 42mph(if at a registered shoot). And those shooters dust them with 1oz of #7.5 or #8 shot. When you start considering all of that and the size of a turkey's head, high dollar turkey loads are pretty much a gimmick imo.
Yes sir, that’s next in my load testing. I’ve been loading 1 1/4 oz 7.5, but I was checking my wad inventory yesterday to see if I have any WAA12SL to try a 1 oz load.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom