Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I’m not a turkey hunter, I have a question. Do y’all experienced hunters pass on young short bearded toms or just shoot whatever tom comes in to the calling?
Knowing of your situation and a little about turkey, I would shoot one that appeared to be a less dominate bird. It may be a young one with short beard.
Reasons:
You want to kill your first turkey.
You want the turkey population to increase.
When eating turkey nuggets, nobody is going care about the beard.

From studies I have read:
When the dominate bird is killed, the breeding stops until another male establishes dominance.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing of your situation and a little about turkey, I would shoot one that appeared to be a less dominate bird. It may be a young one with short beard.
Reasons:
You want to kill your first turkey.
You want the turkey population to increase.
When eating turkey nuggets, nobody is going care about the beard.

From studies I have read:
When the dominate bird is killed, the breeding stops until another male establishes dominance.
I actually forgot I asked the question on here already. From what you‘re saying about breeding stopping if the dominant tom is killed, I’m really hesitant to kill one at all. I don’t know if it’s the mowing and clearing I’ve done or letting a couple guys hunt coyotes on my place, but the turkey number have been increasing the last couple years. I don’t want to do anything to stop the progress.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually forgot I asked the question on here already. From what you‘re saying about breeding stopping if the dominant tom is killed, I’m really hesitant to kill one at all. I don’t know if it’s the mowing and clearing I’ve done or letting a couple guys hunt coyotes on my place, but the turkey number have been increasing the last couple years. I don’t want to do anything to stop the progress.
Go and shoot a turkey. ODWC moved season back 10 days which doesn’t sound like much but in terms of allowing hens to get on the nest after breeding this is huge. We are far enough south that mid to late April is a great time to start season IMO. Should give the hens plenty of time to get set up before we start whacking their males.

Furthermore I’m sure ODWC will monitor this and push it back even further if they find it would help.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned my hunting property for 10 years now. Always see a group of 30 or so birds on cameras right up until season opens and then * nothing *. However I actually got a shot at one last year....missed..... I have a ongoing request for my wife.....involves the turkey and pecans ( of which I 've never got a single pecan from the trees I planted some 30 years ago ) If I'm on my death bed ...go to the store buy some turkey and pecans and bring them to me telling me they were from my property/trees.......I'll die a happy man.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've owned my hunting property for 10 years now. Always see a group of 30 or so birds on cameras right up until season opens and then * nothing *. However I actually got a shot at one last year....missed..... I have a ongoing request for my wife.....involves the turkey and pecans ( of which I 've never got a single pecan from the trees I planted some 30 years ago ) If I'm on my death bed ...go to the store buy some turkey and pecans and bring them to me telling me they were from my property/trees.......I'll die a happy man.
It's common for birds to move to a different area during breeding season and then move back afterwards until the next spring.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's common for birds to move to a different area during breeding season and then move back afterwards until the next spring.
My place must be the breeding grounds, because I randomly see turkeys throughout the year but almost constantly starting in late February until May. :anyone:

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My place must be the breeding grounds, because I randomly see turkeys throughout the year but almost constantly starting in late February until May. :anyone:
Yeah almost all the places I've ever had over the last 40y they are completely void for about 10 months, then appear during the middle of March through the middle of May.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid to kill 1. Watch your turkey and decide which one to kill.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody get out today? Punched my tag on a jake that had a vocal problem. He came in and was trying to gobble but couldn’t. His neck and head were going thru the motions but he could only muster just a little weird noise like a mute person. It was weird. I typically don’t shoot jakes but figured something wasn’t right with this guy so finished my season.

Gonna go out tomorrow and try and get my wife hers. Oh and we looked briefly for mushrooms but it’s so dry that’s a joke!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got here early enough to get in a hunt, and I had two toms answer my call and was able to see them with my binos. However, they ended up moving away from me. I had a jake come within shooting range, and I let him leave healthy and lead free.

One of the leasers on the place south of mine was evidently hunting along my fence, because he texted for permission to trespass to look for a bird he shot at. He didn’t find it.

I won’t make it back out in the morning but plan to tomorrow evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom