Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 368699
He’s a bit too young to get out with him during youth season, but we got out yesterday. Had some big gobblers close first thing in the morning but little buddy couldn’t see them so they got a pass. Ended up with a Jake, but he got to see and participate in the whole thing. He held still and strictly followed instructions (which was a surprise, haha) and he was “calling” with his mouth every time I used a diaphragm, haha. We ate junk food, Found some sheds and shot some 22s too, pretty good day.
The look on your son's face says it all! Congrats Dad!

Big congrats to ElkstalkR's wife on the bird!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After spending the morning and half the afternoon funeraling and visiting with family I don’t see too often, I decided to give turkey hunting another try this evening. I set up in a different spot than yesterday, and with it being hot and windy, I didn’t have much hope of seeing anything. I was texting with Okie4570 and complaining about the heat, wind, and nats, and every once in a while, I’d hit my call. I heard what I thought was clucking behind me to my left, but because of the way I was set up, I couldn’t see that direction. I hit the call again, and about a minute later, this tom walked around my ground blind on my right. My blind was positioned under and behind a locust tree, and when the tom went around the tree, I was able to get my gun up for a shot. He stopped at 8 yards, and I dropped him with one of my handloads out my combo gun. The beard was 6.5” and the spurs were 7/8” and 1”.
FF25EB3D-A743-4F8D-944C-8D414EEA62AB.jpeg

8540D8F1-6ACF-4639-A24B-D3FA3F165014.jpeg

DAEA75D4-CD21-4F68-B38B-ED6470ACDB5B.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
After spending the morning and half the afternoon funeraling and visiting with family I don’t see too often, I decided to give turkey hunting another try this evening. I set up in a different spot than yesterday, and with it being hot and windy, I didn’t have much hope of seeing anything. I was texting with Okie4570 and complaining about the heat, wind, and nats, and every once in a while, I’d hit my call. I heard what I thought was clucking behind me to my left, but because of the way I was set up, I couldn’t see that direction. I hit the call again, and about a minute later, this tom walked around my ground blind on my right. My blind was positioned under and behind a locust tree, and when the tom went around the tree, I was able to get my gun up for a shot. He stopped at 8 yards, and I dropped him with one of my handloads out my combo gun. The beard was 6.5” and the spurs were 7/8” and 1”.
View attachment 368868
View attachment 368869
View attachment 368870
That's a good bird! I'm going to take partial credit for your success though, since I had to talk you through the onslaught of Buffalo gnats that you were experiencing 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝:laugh6:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 368868
View attachment 368869
View attachment 368870
That’s a great bird. He’s heavy! We’re not too far south of you and weve rarely shot one that heavy. Our bigger ones are usually 20-23lbs. And I’m surprised you had a gnat problem, the wind kept em down for us 👍🏻. It also ripped some siding off our house👎

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
That’s a great bird. He’s heavy! We’re not too far south of you and weve rarely shot one that heavy. Our bigger ones are usually 20-23lbs. And I’m surprised you had a gnat problem, the wind kept em down for us 👍🏻. It also ripped some siding off our house👎
They're nonexistent at my place only not very far away, but we've got zero water around, and he does so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
They weren’t as bad yesterday on the south side of the river as they were on Sunday on the north side. :scratch:
They base off of water, so the hard south wind yesterday would have kept them on the north side of the river for the most part and it was much windier yesterday than the North wind on Sunday, and Sunday's wind probably wasn't hard enough to mess with them much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom