Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because they NEED every $5 entry fee they can get. I don’t mean that in the same crappy sense as I’d refer to every other govt agency trying for a money grab. I don’t know the numbers, but I’d guess that every successful draw (regardless of hunt success) results in more entries. And ODWC actually needs it. Also from my understanding, they set harvest quotas at maximum. Meaning: if 100% of drawn applicants were 100% successful, the resource remains unburdened. So when there’s only a two Tom turkey tag allotment for four canyon preserve- they really dont expect a harvest. But if two turkeys are actually killed, the flock can maintain. I have no problem with that. For the price of admission ($5) I’d be pleased as punch to just go walk a new piece of ground with a gun in my hand not knowing what the possibiliies are. Im probably in the minority, but I think ODWC should charge more for entry-
$5 per species.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Because they NEED every $5 entry fee they can get. I don’t mean that in the same crappy sense as I’d refer to every other govt agency trying for a money grab. I don’t know the numbers, but I’d guess that every successful draw (regardless of hunt success) results in more entries. And ODWC actually needs it. Also from my understanding, they set harvest quotas at maximum. Meaning: if 100% of drawn applicants were 100% successful, the resource remains unburdened. So when there’s only a two Tom turkey tag allotment for four canyon preserve- they really dont expect a harvest. But if two turkeys are actually killed, the flock can maintain. I have no problem with that. For the price of admission ($5) I’d be pleased as punch to just go walk a new piece of ground with a gun in my hand not knowing what the possibiliies are. Im probably in the minority, but I think ODWC should charge more for entry-
$5 per species.
I'm fine with that, but look at the success rates from 10y and longer ago. Hunters actually killed birds lol. I know folks can sew the previous year's results before applying, but still.....

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fine with that, but look at the success rates from 10y and longer ago. Hunters actually killed birds lol. I know folks can sew the previous year's results before applying, but still.....
i can’t argue success rates. People were definitely killing more birds in the past. But I think that holds true on private and non-draw public land as well because Turkey numbers have fallen drastically across the board. Im just saying I appreciate that the ODWC still offers the option to go try- even if success rates aren’t what they used to be.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Worked a bird for over 2 hours yesterday evening with my son, probably gobbled 200 times but wasn't interested in closing the distance. Dead calm is something I'm not used to hunting in, and prevented us from moving where we really needed to be. Zero ticks on either of us so that was a plus.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked a bird for over 2 hours yesterday evening with my son, probably gobbled 200 times but wasn't interested in closing the distance. Dead calm is something I'm not used to hunting in, and prevented us from moving where we really needed to be. Zero ticks on either of us so that was a plus.
You and I should never go to Vegas together with the luck that we’re having. I was on one this morning when about 8 hogs came through. I just walked out after that and then it started raining on me pretty heavily on the way back to the truck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
You and I should never go to Vegas together with the luck that we’re having. I was on one this morning when about 8 hogs came through. I just walked out after that and then it started raining on me pretty heavily on the way back to the truck.
No kidding lol

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this guy this afternoon in Okmulgee county. Took him about 30 minutes to cover 500 yards, my turkey fever was a rush. 9" beard and 1" spurs.
20230505_151742.jpg
20230505_153037.jpg
20230505_151829.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom