TV question for you electronic gurus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really okay to mount s TV above a fireplace? Will the heat not have a negative impact on the unit?
I notice that if I buy a TV from Best Buy and pay for installation, there is a note that states they will not mount over a fireplace.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Electronics create a good bit of heat on their own.

Unless it's something specifically designed for high-heat areas (engine compartment, etc.), I'd avoid putting anything electronic in a heated situated if possible.

So... IMO, it's not a good idea unless you could mount a fan or two to move the heat away from it. :drunk2:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It kinda depends on the situation. If the heat will just naturally draft up and you do not have a large mantle I would not mount right above it as a lot of heat will go straight up and likely melt the plastic. If you have a fireplace with glass doors and a forced air system it's less of an issue. The same goes if you have a very wide mantle above the fireplace as it will direct the heat out and away from the TV. Personally I would put a thermometer in multiple places where the TV would be potentially mounted and get a fire going to see what kind of temps I am looking at. Anything at around 100 or below should be safe and remember to place the thermometer away from the wall the same distance away that the tv will sit.

The other issue that comes in is that if you run a big hefty screw or lag bolt into the area above a fireplace you may end up hitting something bad. For instance if you run a lag bolt into the flue you will be directing heat out of the flue into the bolt and potentially create leaks that can cause harm. That ends up being a costly repair and isn't worth the risk of hanging a TV unless you know you will not hit something. There are also chances that you will find little to know area with solid attachment points directly above a fireplace as well except for the brickwork and end up damaging something or have a loose mounting that ends up being unsafe. I would guess this is more of the reason why a retailer would not want to install above a fireplace. With that said I would attach the TV mount onto a set of 2X4's and then attach them to the wall to either side well away from the flue to help prevent the chance of puncturing the flue in any way and hopefully to a point where you are sure to hit a stud. As long as the TV is large enough it should cover the 2X4's and you can always paint them to match the wall or paint them black to match the TV mount.

yabob

Marksman
Reaction score
No guru, EE and ex technician. My thoughts would be as per Mr. Nightshade above.
1) Heat in general is bad for electronics. To keep size and costs down modern electronics have enough cooling to not hurt themselves, but don't do well with an external source.
2) Metal bolts into an active fireplace are going to conduct a lot of thermal energy right into the case.

I wouldn't recommend it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No guru, EE and ex technician. My thoughts would be as per Mr. Nightshade above.
1) Heat in general is bad for electronics. To keep size and costs down modern electronics have enough cooling to not hurt themselves, but don't do well with an external source.
2) Metal bolts into an active fireplace are going to conduct a lot of thermal energy right into the case.

I wouldn't recommend it.
This is a gas log fireplace. No chance of hitting the flue on a 2' wide TV mount I wouldnt think. Also wont conduct heat into the case because its a wall mount apparatus with the TV hanging from that. Also the mantle is real deep so the TV would be set back a foot or so. I like the idea of testing with some thermometers. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold n rainy so good day to burna fire and see.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a 65 Samsung LED over my fireplace for about 5 years and have noticed no diminished performance and I have a real wood fire place and it can get pretty warm. The TV is mounted to drywall and not brick. I have felt behind the TV when I had a fire going and the drywall wasn't very warm. It was cooler than say the bottom of a laptop or a my TV in the garage.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't mount my TV above a fireplace because I feel that the placement is too high for normal viewing. However, YMMV.

In a small living space I find the mounting height above the fireplace very uncomfortable for viewing. My son and daughter both did this in their homes and their living rooms were small. I hated watching the tv at their places. Others I've seen that were in a very large living room were ok, but still not for me.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My room is large, this is why I think it will be fine. Also it will free up a spot along the wall where the TV stand is now so I can have more options for arranging the couch, loveseat and recliner. If I don't like it I can always change it again. Just wanted to make sure the heat from the fire wasn't going to be an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom