unbelievable. privacy intrusion by the feds again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this time they have really kept it a secret. They only received 12 comments on this matter because no one knows about this!

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...t-of-1974-system-of-records#table_of_contents

just a taste here of what they will be tracking on you if you have a mortgage.

Nearly 230 million Americans will soon be required to disclose personal information about their families and financial lives in a new national database created by two federal agencies. The agencies say that the database will benefit the government and the public regarding the changing and evolving housing finance market. Critics are questioning the need to expand the data collection because of privacy and security concerns.
The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) posted a notice in the Federal Register on April 16th about the expansion of their joint National Mortgage Database (NMD). The period for public comment ended on May 16th, only 12 comments were received.
U.S. House of Representative Jeb Hensarling R-Texas and Senator Mike Crapo R-Idaho in a May 15 letter to CFPB Director Richard Cordray and FHFA Director Mel Watt stated, “This expansion represents an unwarranted intrusion into the private lives of ordinary Americans.” Cordray told a committee headed by Hensarling that the database will only contain “aggregate” information and not personally identifiable data.
The agencies said that the mortgage market is the largest single market for consumer finance, but there has been a lack of comprehensive national data. The FHFA and CFPB point out that this is merely an expansion and not something new as multiple federal and state agencies and private vendors already collect much of this information. This initiative would create one point of entry for all data.
The CFPB and FHFA’s examples of how the NMD can support their work include:

Conducting surveys for better understanding of consumer experiences and decision making in the areas of distressed homeownership and mortgage shopping
Understanding the impact of consumers’ debt burdens due to other debt
Monitoring new product performance in the marketplace which may help regulators identify possible issues and new risks
Monitoring loan performance so that policy makers can better understand how different loan products are used and how they perform
Allowing analysis of homeowners with more than one mortgage and how they are performing

The National Mortgage Database will collect information such as:

Name, address and phone number
Social security number
Gender, race, ethnicity and religion
Marital status
Composition of household (number and ages of males, females, children)
Household income
Credit score
Education records
Military status/ records
Employment status/ records
Bank account numbers
List of “financial events” in the last few years
List of other assets/ wealth
Current mortgage balance and monthly payment amount
Payment delinquency records
Bankruptcy records
Credit card numbers, balances, charge limits and highest balance charged
Minimum payments due on all loans
Property attributes (square footage, room count, lot size)
Sale price and down payment amount
Mortgage information (dates, interest rate, amount, loan servicer)

The NMD was created because of a 2008 Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) mandate as a result of Congress requiring a monthly mortgage survey. Congress didn’t explicitly require or authorize the data collection in the form of the NMD, therefore the U.S. Chamber of Commerce disagrees with it.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very believable. And lets be clear, they will not be "requesting" this info from consumers, they will be "requiring" it from the bankers.
What will they be doing for those of us not burdened with a mortgage?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that just took care of the "I want an acreage" problem for GC ... I was thinking about using this property for rental income and partially financing anything we bought ... not now ... :mad:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that just took care of the "I want an acreage" problem for GC ... I was thinking about using this property for rental income and partially financing anything we bought ... not now ... :mad:

Sorry BB. :-( I can't believe they are doing this. I mean I guess I understand the mortgage info part but all of the other personal info?? I mean WTF does a "List of “financial events” in the last few years" even mean or consist of???

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry BB. :-( I can't believe they are doing this. I mean I guess I understand the mortgage info part but all of the other personal info?? I mean WTF does a "List of “financial events” in the last few years" even mean or consist of???

No worries ... I am amazed at the depth of the information they want ... GC is fond of saying the government knows as much about him as they do the guys on the 10 Most Wanted List ... and that he's been fingerprinted more than some bad guys ... :P Still, this is just too much. I can readjust my plan ... nothing wrong with paying cash for a little bit less developed property and getting a little travel trailer and using it for hunting and weekend getaways ...

My bigger problem is that, if I were the kinda gal who kept score :lookaroun GC is "winning" more right now ... :P

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't they already know this information? Last time I bought a house we had to fill out a dozen forms and this info was on the application and included a credit check. They also get a lot of this info from our tax returns, credit card applications, car loans, etc. Not saying I like it but what is this doing that hasn't already been done?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think this is new? They have been doing this for years.

Indeed... this is just an out-and-out in-the-public admission they are going to put this all in a central clearinghouse/database. So that when it comes out, it isn't a huge scandal like the NSA crap.

None of this is new, folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom