Unwelcome guest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hear ya on that. was fishing on a creek one time tearin up some 3-5lb bass and good sized panfish. had the stringer on me just like you said except I was standing at waters edge. reeled in a brim and pulled the hook out reached down to get stringer and damn near grabbed me a cotton mouth. He was between my legs fangs dug into a brim. I did the oh **** snake dance and went to high steppin. and guess what that stringer that the fish was hooked to was also hooked to my belt loop. So after I high step back about 6 feet and then realize oh crap the snake is on me still cause he was attached to the fish. the snake turned loose and I went to leave and he decided that was his fish and came after me. I got away and threw the fish back at the snake. Figured if he was that damned determined I would catch me another and let him have his.

I am sure I would have gave someone a heck of a laugh if they would have seen it.

I could see that. Running away saying here you can have it.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Around here copperheads seem to be the most aggressive of the poisonous snakes. Those things will chase you. Regular water snakes can get pretty aggressive though. We did have a couple of kids in town bit by rattlers last year though. Think I heard at least one of them lost a finger.

I leave alone any snake I know to be a Garder snake or king snake, and either kill any snake I'm not sure about, or run away screaming like a little girl. It really all depends on what weaponry I have around.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've watch de-headed, skinned, and gutted carcasses crawl out of a bucket and across the floor. Kinda creepy.

Definitely creepy. Same thing happened to us once. My brother was cleaning &skinning them in the kitchen. Had one crawl outta the sink, across the floor and into the living room. My wife was grabbing some yonder!

Tasted good though!

Sent from HT's iPad using Tapatalk HD

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Strange, growing up around Enid, one has to literally drive 50 miles to find a poisonous snake of any kind (I am sure there are a few exceptions). Looking back it is kind of nice being able to hunt and fish without a worry of stepping on one. Of all the hours and days I have spent in the field and on the water the only poisonous snake I can remember seeing was on the road at a gate in SW Major County.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen one in central to eastern Grant county either. Very few snakes overall actually. Most of what I see are common water snakes, and the black snakes I catch in Kay county, and take to the barn in Grant to help with the rodents.

Wonder if its so open in terrain, that the Avian Predators keep them thinned out?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set out a trail cam at 2pm today. Was there 5 minutes and headed back out the same trail I came in on. As I'm walking, 2 feet directly in front of me, a snake days off. I hate snakes. I raised my 22 and followed with the sites. When he stopped, I put a bullet in his head. Turned out to be a 20 or so inch copperhead. Sadly, the bullet that took out his had went through his rib cage as well, so no use in saving the skin.

ForumRunner_20130616_202940.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_202929.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
248.JPG

See anything swimming across the water? We thought it was a fawn from a distance...

But it was this guy:

256.JPG

264.JPG

268.JPG

Wilderness section of the buff. 3 days and 2 nights to reach a takeout and no cell service. The thought of a bite out there kinda makes you watch your step. He was slow from the cold water. I snapped the pics and we floated on. Pretty big 'ol guy. I made a deal with him to leave him alone if he and his bretheren left me alone on future trips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom