Upcoming Duracoat Job. Need Advice/Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm reposting this from Gen Disc. Thought I might get more feedback here. Sorry if I pushed any buttons.

I have an old shotgun that I'm looking to cut down to 18" and duracoat since the finish is completely gone. I was looking at duracoats options and really liked some of the templates they have but noticed the price is worth more than the gun. Any advice from the more artistically inclined out there?

I was wanting to do something wild (maybe a digital cammo or tiger stripes!). Why? Because I can. Didn't know if anyone out there had a template that I could borrow or some advice/assistance they could lend my way.

Any input is appreciated. Brands, where to buy, application procedure... I'm a noob to coating so just spill it

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always been able to make good templetes with good quality masking tape like that is used in custom auto painting. if you go slow and let each coat dry and cure properly it comes out pretty good. here is a Remington 870 i did for someone and the AK i did freehand. If you can a light media blasting really helps hold the paint and make sure to spray a good degreaser prior to laying down paint. I normally work in layers; putting one color down a templete on top of that another color a templete and so on.

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a156_strawdog1282_IMGP0522.jpg

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a156_strawdog1282_IMGP0521.jpg

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a156_strawdog1282_shotgun01.jpg

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the best way to prep the parts? I don't have a sand blaster available to me so thats not an option. Just clean well and maybe some steel wool?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old shotgun that I'm looking to cut down to 18" and duracoat since the finish is completely gone.

I did the same. I cut down and duracoated an old Mossberg 500 plan dark earth.

Duracoat dries to the touch pretty quick, so it's ideal for camo, if you choose to go that way. You can buy some really nice templates off the net for $10 that are ready to go, or you can make your own using painters tape.

Prep work is absolutely paramount. Stick to the instructions and take your time. Use a set of measuring spoons or some kind of dropper to measure the ratios. A $10 harbor freight airbrush is all you should need. No reason to drop big bucks on a nicer one.

I sourced my DC from MidwayUSA, but if you need it in small amounts for a complicated camo job, you might be better off buying direct from Lauer. The camo kits you've seen are so expensive because of all the extra stuff they bundle with them (DVD's, airbrushes, degreasers, etc.).

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_mossy1.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_mossy3.jpg

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the best way to prep the parts? I don't have a sand blaster available to me so thats not an option. Just clean well and maybe some steel wool?

Find a buddy with a blaster if you can.

If not rough it up pretty good with some steel wool or sandpaper. Use brake cleaner to degrease. Wear gloves afterwards. Blow the parts off with compressed air after that and you should be okay.

Hang the parts when you spray them.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always been able to make good templetes with good quality masking tape like that is used in custom auto painting. if you go slow and let each coat dry and cure properly it comes out pretty good. here is a Remington 870 i did for someone and the AK i did freehand. If you can a light media blasting really helps hold the paint and make sure to spray a good degreaser prior to laying down paint. I normally work in layers; putting one color down a templete on top of that another color a templete and so on.

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a156_strawdog1282_IMGP0521.jpg

MMMMM Boulevard and Advil. Great looking 870. That looks really nice for a home camo job. Nice Mossy 500 you got there too mmchambers. I might end up going with a desert sand or similar for the receiver and barrel and flat black for the stock. I just want something a bit different and this gun would be a good one to experiment with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom