Update: I bought it! Recommendations for auto loan source?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. But credit cards are even higher, and after getting laid off once this year I’m a little hesitant to expend my savings.

Sorry about your being laid off. You are certainly right not to expend your savings.
BTW- credit cards are all I use (no debit cards) and are a net positive for me.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, side question... Has anyone here had experience with the 2012+ toyota sedan hybrid system? The 2.5L 4 cyl hybrid that's also used in the Camry?

I was looking at the Ford Fusion Hybrid and Kia Optima Hybrid, both 2013+ because they seemed to fall in my price range more consistently. However the appeal of the Toyota is that it would be expected to last longer, and Toyota has been successfully building hybrid electric cars for over 15 years now.
I had a 2012 Camry Hybrid LXE, very nice car, dependable no maintenance whatsoever ever or trouble. Just change the oil and replace the tires. 39,000 miles and was rear ended-totalled. I only got as high as around 44 MPG, usually around 39 MPG. I'd still buy anther one if the price was right.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Average is about 47.5mpg, but hit a new record today.

53.9!
B7BE7D63-B6D8-4B23-93C4-BC05AC3A7836.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't recommend going by those computer numbers. For instance, my F450 when not towing our RV is generally getting better mileage (by the computer) than what it displays. While I do drive the pickup without the trailer quite a bit, most of its miles are towing.

I always calculate using the number of gallons purchased and the miles driven since the last fill-up.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of those mileage computers in my pickup. I call it the Obama Meter.

It's always lying to me, telling me things are better than they really are.

I would suggest a few tanks filled, and do some math with a pencil to find the real numbers.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
@TerryMiller & @Dumpstick
I have a BMW & Buick with an “Obama meter”. I’m quite familiar with, uh, “optimistic” mpg meters. This one seems pretty accurate. I’ve filled three tanks now and my average has pretty well matched the average of the trip meter reports.

Trust me, as an engineer I’ve done the math!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My BMW was off by like 10%, but the speedo was off by 7%, so I always figured they were related. The odo wasn’t off though.

Toyota definitely knows their stuff on hybrids. But I am also driving like an old blue hair now. 55mph all the time. In the far right lane; I try to be considerate while being efficient!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@TerryMiller & @Dumpstick
I have a BMW & Buick with an “Obama meter”. I’m quite familiar with, uh, “optimistic” mpg meters. This one seems pretty accurate. I’ve filled three tanks now and my average has pretty well matched the average of the trip meter reports.

Trust me, as an engineer I’ve done the math!!

Oh, NO!!!!

An engineer....

...(j/k)

Latest posts

Top Bottom