Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If that works for you, do it. I'm really happy with mine and I'm sure you'll be pickled tink to have a new shop...everyone always is. I still need to add electrical but we blew the budget on the insulation. It was worth it...just means we don't have real power out there yet.

The closed cell spray foam makes that tin-can shell feel like it's solid as a rock. I really like it. We have another 30'x30' shop/barn that was built about 3 or 4 years before we bought the place. It's just the metal shell and it's all horizontal vs vertical. It's also not insulated but it does have power. It was built about for the least amount of cost possible, I think. There is just no comparison in quality between the old one vs new, even though they're both metal buildings. It's one of the reasons we went with all the upgrades we did. You won't believe the difference it makes to upgrade to the thicker gauge metal.

My new one here isn't as nice as the one I had built in Idaho...man, I wish I coulda brought that shop with me. It was 24x36 with a 10x16 overhead in the front and an 8x8 overhead door in the rear. It had a 22' carport extension in the front.

shop 2.jpg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 30'x40' with 16' at the shoulder...I wanted to go high. It's 12" I-beam on 3' pillars and a 6" thickened sides slab and standard red iron purlin construction. If it gets hit, the frame will still be there.
I was trying to find the best deal around and kinda do what you're trying to do (looked at Alan's, places with premades in TX, etc) but realized real quick that not only do things add up, you aren't really saving much. So I got what I wanted instead of trying to save pennies, and ended up with a better deal in the long run.

I believe @OKCShooter builds/has a builder...might wanna hit him up.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We started out trying to stay under $23k, give or take. But then we spent almost $13k on the concrete...because we had it poured about 8" for 3' all the way around the edges, and 8" in the center carport section because I might want to add a lift at some point. We also had a big ramp added into the center section. We had planned on leaving that dirt covered with gravel. Then there was the insulation. We went way over budget with that.

So far we have about $35k-ish into the building. Yeah...the upgrades and wants add up fast. But now we have everything we wanted (within reason, of course) and won't be saying "I wish we'd done this or that".

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on here priced anything recently and have an idea on what a new building is running per square ft? Materials and labor figured separately if possible… trying to get an idea of what things have gone up to.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone on here priced anything recently and have an idea on what a new building is running per square ft? Materials and labor figured separately if possible… trying to get an idea of what things have gone up to.
Well, I just got a quote for a 30x50x12 for $15,000. I have a concrete friend who will do my pad for $7,500. $22,500 +tax and a permit ($650). Not bad I don’t think

Latest posts

Top Bottom