Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that works for you, do it. I'm really happy with mine and I'm sure you'll be pickled tink to have a new shop...everyone always is. I still need to add electrical but we blew the budget on the insulation. It was worth it...just means we don't have real power out there yet.

The closed cell spray foam makes that tin-can shell feel like it's solid as a rock. I really like it. We have another 30'x30' shop/barn that was built about 3 or 4 years before we bought the place. It's just the metal shell and it's all horizontal vs vertical. It's also not insulated but it does have power. It was built about for the least amount of cost possible, I think. There is just no comparison in quality between the old one vs new, even though they're both metal buildings. It's one of the reasons we went with all the upgrades we did. You won't believe the difference it makes to upgrade to the thicker gauge metal.

My new one here isn't as nice as the one I had built in Idaho...man, I wish I coulda brought that shop with me. It was 24x36 with a 10x16 overhead in the front and an 8x8 overhead door in the rear. It had a 22' carport extension in the front.

View attachment 422824
Back in Oregon we had just finished a 40x60 x14 awesome general steel shop. Me and my dad put it up ourselves. One of my biggest accomplishments in construction. I didn’t do the concrete or ground prep. But everything else we did

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you’re going to be spending a lot of time in there, run a hard line for data. That ways you can stream music, or whatever while you’re working. Wifi doesn’t transfer over well from your house to the inside of a tin can lol.
A wifi booster with an outside antenna works great in a tin building. I can stream everything on the TV.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on here priced anything recently and have an idea on what a new building is running per square ft? Materials and labor figured separately if possible… trying to get an idea of what things have gone up to.
The Railroad yard in Stillwater sells hundreds of steel building kits every year. They have a list of contractors as well. I already had my builder lined up before ordering the steel for the 30X40.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh wow, didn’t know that it could work that far away
Even further actually. We were in Colorado a couple years ago with the wifi being non existent out further than 100' from the office. We were about 100 yards away. It boosted the signal strong enough that not only could we stream, but the friends of ours that were across the road could use my password and stream from our unit as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom