Value of vintage Ithaca 1911-A1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ARGH! I had just decided to go ahead and quote a price to two people who msg'd me and finally part with the old girl. Now....

I am a history buff, especially WW2, so this pistol's origins count a lot for me. I bought it hoping for an actual WW2 era .45. I knew it was old when I bought it but I was pleased to learn later it was actually assembled in 1943. I was looking for a Colt brand and never heard of Ithaca. Looked the same though. Hey, I was 23!

Man, I really want that SA XD-45 Tactical though.

Can you find those used very cheap?

The pistol is basically just to cover me while I get to my SKS and my wife backs me up with her pump 20g. I mainly want a gun I can go plink with my friends and actually compete as far as accuracy. And maybe keep in my truck when I get CCL.

The last 1911A1's made for the military, as a whole, stopped in 1945 at the end of WWII. Thats right!! All the 1911A1's I carried and numerous other soldiers, sailors, and marines, from 1945 till they changed her out in the mid 80's were all USGI WWII 1911A1's. The last one I carried was a USS(Union Switch&Signal). These guns have soldiered through WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and several other ugly places in the world. Its not just WWII, but all the other places as well!!

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too many used XD45s around, most people are hanging on to them. New one is in the mid-$500 to $600 range. Sell the Ithaca and get what you want. You will do far better selling it outright and then purchasing a new gun. Trading it at a gun shop will cost you a lot more.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Home defense shotgun--good.

SKS home defense? I'd hate to be your neighbor. 'Way too much penetration potential.

7+1 should be enough, and in a home defense situation you don't need any sights. So you don't really have an urgent need for a new gun, but . . .

I detect the fever that will drive you to a new gun. Start a dedicated savings account. Give up one regular expese (sodas, beer, lottery tickets, etc.) and put the savings in the account. You'll have the money sooner than you think, and can use the time in between to study the market.

I expect the market to flatten and possibly drop as the current panic wears itself out. We are already seeing a little ammo relief, so waiting might be good. Keep the 1911. You will eventually grieve if you do not.--experience talking here. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom