Venison Recipes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite is grilled backstrap. Most people I know chicken fry it, which I think ruins a good piece of meat. I coat mine with a dry rub of onion powder, garlic power, kosher salt and lots of course ground black pepper. Grill it over medium low heat about 8 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness. I like mine almost rare since it is such a lean meat, it can easily be over cooked. It should still be a little squishy when you take it off the grill, it will continue to cook a few minutes after you take it off. Let it rest about ten minutes or so before cutting. When cooked correctly, it will be juicy, tender, and full of flavor. Whip up some mashed taters and ranch style beans, hard to beat.

The left overs the next day are my favorite part. I slice it as thin as I can, put a good layer of mozzarella cheese on and nuke it till it melts. Throw it on some toasted sourdough bread with a little A1 steak sauce. Slap your mama. Good eatin.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Butterfly steaks; marinate in italian dressing overnight. Lay on counter folded open, add several slices of jalepenos (from a jar) and a decent sized slice of red onion in the middle. Fold over and wrap entire steak with bacon. Close with toothpicks or oven twine. Grill until bacon is done.:thumbup3:

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer Wraps, I marinate them overnight with a little mixture i came up with. then cut them into smaller pcs and wrap them with cream cheese, peppers, and bacon. Grill for about 10 minutes each side. Also great on the smoker.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
marcus, which cut of meat do you use of this?

ive got my first deer in the freezer and have had a tough time cooking it perfectly.. it reminds me of grilling pork but i don't think you want to cook it to that amount of doneness..

id like to find some recipes that my family would like and not have to resort to deep frying.

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest the backstrap is the best but for Christmas i used part of the roast and it turned out just fine. For the people that dont like the peppers I have taken 1/2 an onion and boilded it. It made it soft enought that you could spread the cream cheese and wrap it all together. A big hit at some cook outs. If you want i can give you marinate.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ingredients

* 2 lbs venison tenderloins (a single deer loin or Moose or Elk or Pork or Beef)
* 1/2 lb bacon (Plain, thin-sliced Bacon is best)
* 3 cups dark brown sugar
* 2 cups soy sauce (Regular NOT low-sodium. You'll want the saltiness)
* 1/4 cup white sugar (Optional for added Sweetness)

Directions

1. Mix brown Sugar and Soy sauce together in a bowl. They should combine nicely into a soupy soy liquid.
2. Put Deer Loin in a cooking tray and pour Brown Sugar/Soy Sauce mixture over loin. Roll tenderloin over in mixture, completely covering it.
3. Let meat marinate in mixture at least 3 hours or overnight in fridge. It's best to marinate for 8 hours if you have the time. Also GREAT to use a Food Saver or other Vacuum device to Vacuum pack/seal the meat with Marinade. With this method, you can achieve Overnight-level marinade in just a couple hours!
4. Remove loin from tray, and place on a slotted bake sheet with a drip pan or aluminum foil below to catch dripping. Don't throw away marinade.
5. Wrap a piece of bacon around the very end of the tenderloin, securing the bacon strip with a toothpick.
6. Repeat this process until the entire loin is wrapped in ten or so bacon "loops." The tenderloin should look like an arm with a bunch of wrist watches on it, the watches being the bacon strips.
7. Drizzle remaining marinade over deer loin. You can continue to baste the loin with the marinade throughout the cooking process with either a brush or a turkey baster.
8. Place on center rack in oven and bake at 350°F for 30-40* minutes. *This should cook the meat to about Medium. For those of you who prefer rare meat (like me), cut the time to 25-30 minutes and then follow with the "OPTION 2" step below regarding searing.
9. OPTION 1 - with about 10 minutes of cooking time left, you can lightly dust the top of the loin with white sugar. This creates a sweet crust on top of the bacon. Might be too sweet for some. Try doing it on just HALF of the loin to see if you like it!
10. OPTION 2 - For a crispier crust and crispier bacon, remove Loin from oven and place the Loin(s) directly on a Grill over medium-high heat to sear the bacon and outer loin. (Thanks to all of you reviewers who taught me this. It's a great step for those of us who like a cooked crust and a pink center).
11. Remove from oven and place on cutting board. Using a knife, cut the loin between each strip of bacon so that you have many pieces of meat, each with their own toothpick.
12. You can eat these pieces directly from the toothpick or remove the toothpick and eat like steak. You can thank me later.
13. The next day, try the leftovers on a wheat bun with spicy BBQ Sauce for an awesome leftover sandwich.

Found this recipe online. It was very good, but I am going to use less soy (or game tame) next time.

recipe link

Latest posts

Top Bottom