Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a master built electric smoker, my wife isn’t big on bbq but likes smoked chicken and turkey from time to time. I will get the boneless turkey breast roasts and brine them using a recipe I found online then use the poultry rub from Rudy’s and throw it in the smoker in a butter bath and put it directly on the rack for the last 5 minutes or so. Let it rest then slice it up to make sandwiches.
my favorite is ribs but the wife doesn’t like them and it’s kinda a waste to make a rack of ribs for only one person. I wold like to try a brisket but cant justify experimenting on one with beef prices right now.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cabelas ( traegar type ) pellet grill/smoker and a propane Masterbuilt smoker I actually prefer the end product of the Masterbuilt more. I got the propane model mainly because I could easily convert it to charcoal should I ever need to do that. as for meat.....mostly smoking pork --ribs or loin. My wife prefers the loin as it usually has less fat. The main thing for successful smoking is having a good thermometer to achieve the correct temperatures. This one has been most reliable for me Amazon.com

Old Noob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a master built electric smokehouse. Love it. Smoke lots of different things. Just did a pork butt roast for pulled pork.
20231012_215609.jpg

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Member’s Mark Pro Series pellet grill and Masterbuilt Electric. Just got the pellet grill recently, but really enjoying it so far. Planning on some pork butts for pulled pork in a few weeks.

I haven’t tried chicken or turkey yet, but they’re on the list! I’ve got brisket down pretty well and pulled pork too!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I used to do the BBQ circuit around Oklahoma with a stick burner I built from scratch. Did ok getting 5th in the overall Oklahoma State Championship one year. We smoked meat almost every day for a couple of years trying out new ideas and such, finally getting burned out on smoked meat.
Cooked at home on a propane grill for a few more years and was wanting to get back into smoked meat, so we bought a pellet grill. Worked great on everything but steaks. Won't mention the brand, but it was difficult to get over 400 degrees to sear a steak.
It caught fire in the control panel area which that brand is prone to do and is in the scrap yard now.
Bought a Pit Boss that will get to 600 degrees in short order and never looked back. The temps stay steady and the built in meat thermometers are spot on when comparing them to some good quality units we have.
Brisket is insanely high. Chuck roast done low and slow is just as good as brisket. Ribs can be cooked at 225 degrees for 5 hours uncovered and come out perfect. Just a little bite to get it off the bone.
I'm sure this comment is going to rile some up, but fall off the bone ribs is nothing more than pulled pork on a bone and is overcooked.
The perfect rib needs a little bite to get it off. That is the holy grail competition cookers are after when putting some ribs in front of a judge.
Back to the grill, BBQ beans made on a pellet grill add another layer of flavor to the beans.
Bacon cooked on the grill is incredible.
Pellet grills are the king!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a master built electric smoker, my wife isn’t big on bbq but likes smoked chicken and turkey from time to time. I will get the boneless turkey breast roasts and brine them using a recipe I found online then use the poultry rub from Rudy’s and throw it in the smoker in a butter bath and put it directly on the rack for the last 5 minutes or so. Let it rest then slice it up to make sandwiches.
my favorite is ribs but the wife doesn’t like them and it’s kinda a waste to make a rack of ribs for only one person. I wold like to try a brisket but cant justify experimenting on one with beef prices right now.
Brining turkey is the bomb. Makes that dry meat moist. We do the same but use the whole turkey. Boil the scraps to make soup and broth, divide and freeze, then vacuum seal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom