Vermont becomes first state to ban hydraulic fracturing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another point. Fracing is not a new method. And vertical wells are also fraced. The OCC and the Texas RRC, both have had regulations in effect for 40 years that I know of, specifically to protect ground water.
Does anyone remember channel 4's "What's Wrong With Well" reports? The ground water contamination that started that was nitrates (I think), I can remember chiseling nitrous ammonia in farming. There was a lot of ammonia nitrates used for fertilizer about that and earlier, but that disposal well got the blame, at least the implied blame

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On an interesting note: it appears from this thread that a person may need personal experience to comment on topics here now; that should curb most of the topics concerning politics on this forum, being most here don't spend any appreciable time on Capitol Hill, or at the State House. Maybe we can now focus the topics towards sh*tty driving or obesity, subjects where many Oklahomans appear to have vast experience.

If this was directed at me then you took my question wrong. I genuinely wanted to know if there was anyone here who had experience in the field being discussed. That was it. Sorry if it came off wrong.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
owu1bag5 said:
If this was directed at me then you took my question wrong. I genuinely wanted to know if there was anyone here who had experience in the field being discussed. That was it. Sorry if it came off wrong.

Nah it was probably me.
I get pissed off at the main stream media putting out false info.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would any of these be a problem if they ended up on the ground?
http://fracfocus.org/chemical-use/what-chemicals-are-used

Sorry about being a little cranky last night.

Nobody wants a chemical spill. Drillers, land owners or royalty owners.

As has been said, most frac situations occurr way below water Acquifers.

Some are perhaps closer.
A recent post said that in Osage county it was a little deeper than 1000'
I live in Osage county, and my water well is at about 20' deep. I have my water tested annually for hydro carbons, as there are pump jacks to the south and north of my water well.
A mile away, they have drilled up to 3000 ft and not hit water.
I was reading in Popular Science today about fracing.

Most fractures in the bearing are less than 100' long.
I hope that answers a couple of questions.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
40 years OT I've always spelled it fracing, from fracturing. Just an oberservation from the field part of the oilfield.

Yea no "K" in Fracing

Just came off a job this morning North of Alva about 1/4 mile from Kansas, Didn't get the total depth but the job was 9 stages, each lasting 1 hour 45 mins. 100,000 pounds of sand per stage

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

No, wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It just seemed like the thread turned a little condecsending. No big deal. There was plenty of good info from guys who do this kind of work, so guys like me that know that fracing doesn't cause earthquakes, but wasn't sure of it's effect on groundwater learned a thing or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom