Vermont Orders Man To Jail So Town Can Destroy His Ranges (Private Property)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I like shooting at gun ranges I can’t put one in my back yard either.
I had one on about 150 acres in Creek county that I stopped using because of residents that had moved into the area over the last 20-30 years.
No one complained that I know of but I can only imagine how it might have aggravated folks when I ran 400 rounds of pistol and 100 or so rifle on a Saturday evening training session while they were trying to enjoy a cookout with family or friends.
I just renewed my Red Castle membership and moved on with life. It’s certainly a bit more of a drive to go shooting but sometimes you’ve got to choose what might be best.
I don’t know exactly what this guy up in Vermont’s circumstances are the details weren’t in the video.
A local guy in the Tulsa area tried to open one up north of town and the local government shut that sh#t down and I felt that he really got the short end of the stick in that case.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like he broke the law, and the law won?
Maybe. It appears that they are upset that he's teaching the use of firearms so they're USING the zoning laws to go after him. I don't think they really care about the zoning issues. And they wouldn't know about the structures he built if not for the noise of the firing range.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd hope this is more of a zoning issue than 2a issue, but who knows these days.
I did a bunch of research on Vermont laws looking to see why Vermont was going after this guy, considering that Vermont has/did have some of the best gun freedom laws in the Nation. What I discovered was:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Published 3:29 PM CDT, May 8, 2023

Vermont on Monday made it a crime to own or operate paramilitary training camps in the state after Republican Gov. Phil Scott signed legislation introduced in response to a firearms training facility built without permits that neighbors called a menace.
Violators face up to five years in prison or a fine up to $50,000 or both, according to the law. It prohibits a person from teaching, training, or demonstrating to anyone else the use, application, or making of a firearm, explosive, or incendiary device capable of causing injury or death that will be used in or in furtherance of a civil disorder. It also bans a person from assembling with others for such training, instruction or practice.
https://www.military.com/daily-news...ning-running-paramilitary-training-camps.htmlhttps://apnews.com/article/paramilitary-training-camps-vermont-ban-03506f22609d9be1d6311ce6b6a5fd6fhttps://www.mynbc5.com/article/vermont-senate-ban-paramilitary-camps/42958567
Guess that wipes out the ability for someone to now have a private gun range on their own land or [maybe] just having friends over for an eat-'n-shoot, because .gov can claim it was done for paramilitary training purposes. That now makes 25 states with the same type of laws!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom