Wal*Mart refuses to sell shotgun to petite woman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's really what he thought he should have just said that. But he said it was because she was too petite, and as also pointed out in the article, the husband is fully eligible to purchase.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you read the full story and the link it looks more like a straw purchase than the refusal because she's a "small woman".

But assuming it's a straw purchase purely due to somebody's stature is stupid. If gun shops didn't sell people guns because they don't seem fit for the gun or able to properly handle the gun then the industry would tank. Making a suggestion based on experience is one thing but jumping to the conclusion that it's a straw purchase is ridiculous.

I would like to hear the sales clerk's side of the story though as I hope there was something to the situation other than what her story claims.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was all coming from the wife too. They weren't able to get a hold of the walmart to verify the story. Do you believe a manager would not allow a purchase because the gun clerk didn't think the woman could shoot it? Or is it because the manager believed like the gun clerk that it was a straw purchase and they were just trying to cover their asses. And the store would have to verify both purchasers if they suspected a straw purchase. Just like they do if you go in to buy beer and someone with you is under the age of 21 and you are 21 or older. I've gone to buy beer before and someone that looks like they might be under the age of 21 has gone with me and they ask for both our ids.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to armchair quarterback these. So many times I have seen a man come over look at all the firearms, shoulder it hand it to the wife who fumbles with it for a few seconds and says that she wants it. It may be for her at that point but sure does look like a straw purchase. The guy behind the counter just has to use the best judgement he can.

I have been threatened so many times because "it really is for me" its not even amusing anymore. Funny how it never really ends up being for them.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But assuming it's a straw purchase purely due to somebody's stature is stupid. If gun shops didn't sell people guns because they don't seem fit for the gun or able to properly handle the gun then the industry would tank. Making a suggestion based on experience is one thing but jumping to the conclusion that it's a straw purchase is ridiculous.

I would like to hear the sales clerk's side of the story though as I hope there was something to the situation other than what her story claims.

Who makes the most straw purchases in the gun industry? Men or women? In the top comment it was suggested that women do, so I could see why the clerk would jump to conclusions if that assumption is true. There's always two sides to a story and we've only heard one.

In your experience, is a woman more than likely capable of shooting a .22, or a .45?

Latest posts

Top Bottom