Wal*Mart refuses to sell shotgun to petite woman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I went to buy a shot gun one day. We were ready to fill out the paperwork and her address on her ID wasn't current. so I said, we live together and my address is current I would like to buy it. The clerk talked to a manager and we left with a shot gun that day.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People hear these stories of stupidity that occur in big box stores all the time, yet they continue to consume mass quantities of crap from them.

Why should they both have to fill out a 4473 it's none of their ****ing business as long as the primary purchaser is attesting that it's for their use or as a gift.

I wanted a 10/22 one time spur of the moment impulse, I delay every time and most of the time it seems like they just don't bother to call back anymore so Academy refused to sell to me. Fast forward 2 weeks ok fine my wife will just go buy it, they refused to sell it to her because they never got a call back from me so yeah **** walmart and academy.

I wish these assholes understood what a straw purchase is.

My wife surprised me a couple of years ago with with a mossberg 930spx for my birthday she told sports world right up front it was a gift for her husband.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A straw purchase is only a straw purchase if the person who the gun is being purchased for cannot legally purchase themselves. So even if she was buying for someone else there's nothing illegal about it. Unless you have some pretty good reason to believe it's actually a straw purchase you're going to catch hell for refusing to sell. If not legally than potentially civil. Now if she was standing there buying a shotgun as a "gift" for some thug with jailhouse tats and a T-shirt that says "I Survived Prison and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" I can see some hesitation but otherwise she's no different than anyone else going in to legally purchase a firearm. The employee should have shut his trap and kept his opinions to himself. If she needed his opinion on which gun she should own she would have asked for it.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely he was wrong to block the sale.

But...

Was he really out of line to suggest that a combat-type 12-gauge shotgun might be too much for her? Was it really horrible customer service for him to point that out, assuming he did it politely? Don't we usually ***** & moan about how horrible customer service is at WallyWorld? The guy behind the counter knows nothing about the people standing in front of him. Maybe they just saw some movie and thought the Mossie looked cool. I mean, none of us has ever known anyone to buy a gun they knew nothing about, right?

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A straw purchase is only a straw purchase if the person who the gun is being purchased for cannot legally purchase themselves.

Not really. A straw purchase is anytime the person actually buying the gun, isn't the one filling out the paperwork. I can legally purchase a firearm but its still a straw purchase for me to give my money to somebody else to pick up for me.

From the ATF website-
A straw purchase is a purchase in which the actual purchaser uses someone else — a.k.a. the “straw person” to make the purchase and complete the paperwork. Generally straw purchasers are utilized because the actual purchaser is not eligible to conduct a transaction because they’re in one or more legally prohibited categories, such as being addicted to a controlled substance, being a felon, being underage, and so on.

However, a straw purchase occurs even when the actual purchaser is not a prohibited person. The crime committed is knowingly making a false statement on the Form 4473 indicating that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser, when this is not the case.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what's the practical difference between a straw purchaser and someone who purchases a firearm for him/herself, then decides later that day to sell it to someone else? You'd have to prove intent.

KBC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad my (now ex) wife wasn't treated like this when she went to a local gun shop to purchase a Winchester 94AE 30-30 for me for Christmas a few years ago. Is buying a gun as a gift also considered somewhat of a "straw purchase"? The person purchasing the gun is not the one owning or using the gun. And, by the way, yes of course I can legally purchase own firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom