Wal*Mart refuses to sell shotgun to petite woman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People hear these stories of stupidity that occur in big box stores all the time, yet they continue to consume mass quantities of crap from them.

Why should they both have to fill out a 4473 it's none of their ****ing business as long as the primary purchaser is attesting that it's for their use or as a gift.

I wanted a 10/22 one time spur of the moment impulse, I delay every time and most of the time it seems like they just don't bother to call back anymore so Academy refused to sell to me. Fast forward 2 weeks ok fine my wife will just go buy it, they refused to sell it to her because they never got a call back from me so yeah **** walmart and academy.

I wish these assholes understood what a straw purchase is.

My wife surprised me a couple of years ago with with a mossberg 930spx for my birthday she told sports world right up front it was a gift for her husband.

You obviously dont understand that the clerk has a liability in this game also. Furthermore you dont get that these companies do everything they can to stay out of the media for things like "gun was bought at Acadamy during straw purchase" "wal-mart clerk sold gun that ended up in convicted felons hands.

While you may never do anything wrong with a firearm and may never feel the need to lie about what is going on, the unfortunate truth is that many people do. And those ass holes are the reason for this, not the company trying to protect itself. You must realize that in todays society SOMEONE always must be held accountable, and all to often it isnt the one that did the wrong deed. It more and more is someone that should have had a crystal ball to put themselves in a way to stop it before hand.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the employee makes a bad sale to a straw purchaser and someone gets killed with the weapon.. the employee might be held civilly liable, as can Walmart, if the plaintiff shows that the employee should have known or suspected the sale was illegal. Can't blame a guy working for $10 a hour.. and probably under 40 hours a week... for being cautious. Several of the sporting goods dept. people at my local Walmart have their hours cut back to 36 a week right now.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...In your experience, is a woman more than likely capable of shooting a .22, or a .45?

There was a time when I thought like that - until I taught my eldest daughter to shoot. Her favorite handgun - 44 Mag revolver (Taurus Raging Bull) with full power loads shooting 240gr bullets at 1550 FPS. If anyone thinks no way can a woman handle one of those all I will say is that if you truly believe and want to back up that beliefe with action that I wouldn't advise standing down range of her with that gun in her hand at less than a 100 yds.

The 1st gun my niece ever shot was a Glock 22. Didn't phase her in the least.

Women are just as good as most men when it comes to shooting IMO. Don't sell 'em short until you see what they can do.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a time when I thought like that - until I taught my eldest daughter to shoot. Her favorite handgun - 44 Mag revolver (Taurus Raging Bull) with full power loads shooting 240gr bullets at 1550 FPS. If anyone thinks no way can a woman handle one of those all I will say is that if you truly believe and want to back up that beliefe with action that I wouldn't advise standing down range of her with that gun in her hand at less than a 100 yds.

The 1st gun my niece ever shot was a Glock 22. Didn't phase her in the least.

Women are just as good as most men when it comes to shooting IMO. Don't sell 'em short until you see what they can do.

I don't, but at the same time I try to start any woman that is shooting for the first time or with little experience off with a smaller more manageable round. I hate seeing jackasses hand a woman a shotgun or big handgun with no training because they think it'll be "funny". Then you scare that person into never wanting to shoot again, and having a negative opinion on guns. I did have an ex that loved shooting a 454 causual out of a S&W 500 though. Surprised the hell out of me and the clerk at H&H when she asked for the biggest handgun they rented.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't, but at the same time I try to start any woman that is shooting for the first time or with little experience off with a smaller more manageable round. I hate seeing jackasses hand a woman a shotgun or big handgun with no training because they think it'll be "funny". Then you scare that person into never wanting to shoot again, and having a negative opinion on guns.

I agree 100%.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obviously dont understand that the clerk has a liability in this game also. Furthermore you dont get that these companies do everything they can to stay out of the media for things like "gun was bought at Acadamy during straw purchase" "wal-mart clerk sold gun that ended up in convicted felons hands.

While you may never do anything wrong with a firearm and may never feel the need to lie about what is going on, the unfortunate truth is that many people do. And those ass holes are the reason for this, not the company trying to protect itself. You must realize that in todays society SOMEONE always must be held accountable, and all to often it isnt the one that did the wrong deed. It more and more is someone that should have had a crystal ball to put themselves in a way to stop it before hand.

The clerk and the store have no legal liability.
Once the purchaser signs the 4473 attesting that their statements are true and accurate they become the liable party.
It's not he job of some $10 an hour clerk to ascertain the veracity of my wife's statements that she is swearing to on a federal form. Nor is it their job to determine whether or not a person is physically capable of handling a specific firearm.

Now if I walk up to the counter with my wife and say "honey buy me that gun I don't feel like being delayed" and hand her the money then yes that would technically be a straw purchase but I would love to see it proven in court since Oklahoma is a community property state and the funds are from a joint bank account.

She was the one that decided to surprise me by going back to academy and get me the 10/22 when NICS didn't call them back and the jerk at the counter remembered her and when he quizzed her she told him it was a gift since I was bummed they wouldn't transfer without the explicit OK from NICS.

Just one more reason to support your local FFL and not the big box IMHO.

YMMV

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once the purchaser signs the 4473 attesting that their statements are true and accurate they become the liable party.
It's not he job of some $10 an hour clerk to ascertain the veracity of my wife's statements that she is swearing to on a federal form. Nor is it their job to determine whether or not a person is physically capable of handling a specific firearm.

Now if I walk up to the counter with my wife and say "honey buy me that gun I don't feel like being delayed" and hand her the money then yes that would technically be a straw purchase but I would love to see it proven in court since Oklahoma is a community property state and the funds are from a joint bank account.

She was the one that decided to surprise me by going back to academy and get me the 10/22 when NICS didn't call them back and the jerk at the counter remembered her and when he quizzed her she told him it was a gift since I was bummed they wouldn't transfer without the explicit OK from NICS.

Just one more reason to support your local FFL and not the big box IMHO.

YMMV

I'm not sure its relevant to a straw purchase but OK isn't a community property state.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You should really explain your point of view to the ATF. As I assure you and have seen first hand that if a firearm you sell gets used for something bad YOU will be questioned by the ATF and made to feel like a criminal. They will also be sure to check and see if you did anything wrong in the process.

But if you ever do find yourself in that situation you are more than welcome to hand the agent the 4473, show them the signature and tell them to kick rocks. Once you get back out you could let us know how that route works out.:pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom