WalMart - No Ammo Sales After 10 PM............ WTF ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had that problem at a few stores.. a call to the District Manager or their 800 number gets it cleared up right away. Store manager doesn't trump the national sales policy. Ammo sales times is not restricted or regulated like beer sales... ammo can be sold 24 / 7 . It is no different than selling a locked up computer or camera after 10 pm. The Assistant Manager on duty has the keys and they walk the item up to the register.. usually the one that sells the cigarettes. If I'm not ready to check out, they hold it at the register until I am ready. I've made several store managers mad over the late night ammo sales.. even had one tell me there was no way in hell it was gonna be done.. but a phone call to the DM and they started selling the next night. The DM's I've talked with agreed that pistol ammo inside the locked case is really not much more dangerous than the shotgun shells you can buy over the counter. It is just that they have to make sure the customer is old enough to buy it... just like the cans of spray paint which you can buy after 10 pm.

Last edited:

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask for a manager, they always override the minions. I've been told the "associates" will get gun sales confused with ammo sales.
I always mess with them and tell them the pistol calibers are for a rifle when they ask (18 vs 21). I have a 9mm rifle so it's the truth. One old timer told me he had never heard of a 9mm rifle...

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I assume that Walmart stores only have a few "keepers of the key" and in some stores don't work late or early. Apparently it requires special training to be able to sell ammunition.

I would agree with that. Look at the average walmart employee!!!

There is a process of buying ammo.
1. Unlock the case.
2. carry ammo directly to checkout counter.
3. complete transaction.
4. give ammo to customer.

It sounds simple but there are probably many walmart employees that are not competent enough or do not care enough to follow the procedures. I think they make you check out right away for two reasons. 1. to reduce theft. 2. Now that ammo is your property to use at your discretion, potentially releasing walmart of liability of said property. If a shooting were to happen in a store using ammo from that store and the "clerk" did not follow or was not given instructions on how to handle the sale a case could be made for gross negligence.

So the manager intrusts only a few people with the key. Rather than worrying about making sure there is always a key person at the store, it may be easier for the manager to set a policy, no sales after whatever time. I don't have a problem at all with it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go pick up a box of shotgun shells on the normal end cap, buy them up front and call them on B.S.

Stillwater 6th street night electronics guy has opened up the glass case and sold me ammo at 3:00 AM several times though. Some folks are still good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom