Walther PPS in 9mm for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys... I've got a Glock 19 and a Sig P228... but I've been thinking about getting a thinner gun for concealed carry. A friend of mine recommended looking into getting a Walther PPS. It seems like a really nice option as it looks to be very thin (single stack) and having 7+1 capacity doesn't seem too bad at all for the size.

Anybody else have experience with this gun? I think I've seen a NIB 9mm PPS with night sights going for around $760 on gunbroker. Only problem is... I've never owned a Walther, and neither have any of my friends. Are they reliable? The PPS is striker fired with no safety... almost makes me think of what a single stack Glock would look like.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walther makes some outstanding pistols, but I think they are vastly overpriced for what they're supposed to be used for.

I'd be more inclined to get a Kahr CW9 for nearly $350 less. Spend the $350 on holsters, ammo, mags, and more ammo. Another option is the Kel-Tec PF-9 for around $279.

All three of these pistols are going to do what you want them to. In my opinion, the Kahr is the best value in terms of quality and price.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walther makes some outstanding pistols, but I think they are vastly overpriced for what they're supposed to be used for.

I'd be more inclined to get a Kahr CW9 for nearly $350 less. Spend the $350 on holsters, ammo, mags, and more ammo. Another option is the Kel-Tec PF-9 for around $279.

All three of these pistols are going to do what you want them to. In my opinion, the Kahr is the best value in terms of quality and price.

+1, I think you will be far happier with the Kahr. If you are looking at spending that much, maybe even a K9 with CT grips. I am looking at getting a set for my wife's K9.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Walther PPS in 9mm for a while, I think they are good dependable pistol, never had any failures with mine. However, having said that, the slide isnt really that much thinner than a Glock 26 or 19 as the PPS has the accessory rail which really bulks out the end of the frame, leaving you with the similar frame size at the barrel end with the loss 3 rounds. The grip is significantly thinner but that is all that I see is gained in the PPS over a Glock. Basically when I carried the PPS in a Galco UDC tuckable holster, it felt no different than carrying a Glock 26, so I kept the Glock and got rid of the PPS. Your mileage may vary though.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered the PPS over my 228, which can be a bit cumbersome at times. I like the concept of a "thin" gun, but I'm honestly turned off by the small round count. 99% of the time you may only need 5-6 shots, but I like to prepare for the worst. The 228, with the Mec-Gar mags give me 15+1, just in case. Walthers are great guns the P99 is definitely on buy list list.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Walther PPS 9mm.
Mine has been 100% reliable, about 1000 rounds through it.
Pocket carry is possible with the PPS with the right pants (pleated front), where something even slightly bigger would not be practical. I know pocket carry is not optimal, but it results in my having the pistol with me when I otherwise might not.
The small round count bothers me some, but then I think of all those people satisfied with a 5 round J frame and I feel better.
Never cared for the Kahr's. I almost went for a CW9, but went for the PPS and haven't regretted the decision. I shoot the PPS a lot better than the CW9's I've tried.
If I was to step up to a wider carry pistol I'd go to an XD9 subcompact. I have access to one of those and really like it as well.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
none of this matters if you wont carrry it for whatever reason, to long, to thick, to heavy, ect.:wink2:

Agreed, but I'd rather have a gun that is "too long, too thick or too heavy" with the right concealment holster/option than to have an empty gun and another bad guy on the attack. Again I just like to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys... I've got a Glock 19 and a Sig P228... but I've been thinking about getting a thinner gun for concealed carry. A friend of mine recommended looking into getting a Walther PPS. It seems like a really nice option as it looks to be very thin (single stack) and having 7+1 capacity doesn't seem too bad at all for the size.

dont own one (thinking about it in the next few months) but sure has good features for a conceal carry...if "you think" you need more than 8 rounds then carry a extra mag., i personally wouldnt be having a melt down over it...

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
none of this matters if you wont carrry it for whatever reason, to long, to thick, to heavy, ect.:wink2:

All these IMHO are a moot point if you have the right holster... I hve a G19 & have carried in a RCS Phantom, Blade-Tech, and Galco Royal Guard... The right holster makes all the diference as it can support the weapon and bring it in closer to the body and virtually ake it disappear...

As far as capacity... Let's not forget why we carry a weapon... It's to defend our lives or the lives of our loved ones... The higher round count the better because you have no idea what situation will arise & Mr. Attacker & his buddies aren't gonna stop while you reload...

If you are unable to conceal either your G19 or P228 you need to seriously re-evaluate your method of carry... I carried my G19 in the RCS with a TLR-1 and it was comfy and still even with the light wasn't too wide...
Currently carrying with a Blade-Tech which is great & conceals very well...

A good friend of mine has a P228 & it's the sam with that it's similar in size to the G19 (heavier but similar) so I know the differences in the two...

The Walther is a great weapon, but I'm not spending $700-$800 on a weapon that'll give me less of a chance to defend myself...

Just my $.02....

Latest posts

Top Bottom