Warning Shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the sake of discussion this is purely fiction. Put yourself in the place of the shooter. What would you do?

A friend, his wife, and young daughter were camping during the week at a private campground, it was only them and 1 other RV at the grounds. The friend was talking to the campground owner when a car came zooming in, she called out to slow down and he flashed his surefire at them. That seemed to be the end of it.
About an hour later back at the RV he heard someone outside calling "Hey spotlight". He stepped out to see two 30 something males aout 35 yards aways approaching him. He shined his very bright light at them told them he didn't want any trouble and just to go back the way the way they came. The kept approaching taunting him.
At this point things started to escalate, he was armed concealed and his family was in the RV behind them. He called out several times for them to stop, they didn't. When they broke the 20 yard mark he drew his gun ordered them to the ground. One of the guys said "I've ben shot before go ahead an shoot me!" and they kept approaching. His wife was inside the RV on the phone calling the sheriff. At this point he felt an imminentinet threat and was screaming at the top of his lungs to get down or he would shoot. For whatever reason even he can't explain he fired a shot into the ground to the side and a bit in fromt of himself . Not at them, clearly a warning shot. At this point they got on the ground. He told them the Sheriff was on the way and if they got up he would kill them.
Not sure how long had passed but I was under the impression it was less than a minute they both got up and went back the way they came. By the time the sheriff and HP arrived they were gone. I suspect once they heard the sheriff was on the way they wanted out of there.
They showed no weapons or implied they had any. However, aggressive stance and unwillingness to retreat caused fear of at least great bodily harm. Shooting these guys was the last thing he wanted to do and he never thought he would fire a warning shot if put in the situation of having to draw his weapon, but that is what happened. In this case it worked.
The police took a report, the deputy was the lead and came back the next day wanting pictures of the gun and was talking about confiscating it. The Sheriff (his boss) asked why he didn't arrest the shooter, for what wasn't quite clear. The Deputy and I suppose the Sheriff thought the shot was fired AT them. In the end no charges were filed and the guys never surfaced.

Last edited:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid.

He should not have a gun. If you fire a gun, it should be in the event of immediate threat of serious bodily harm, or survival. He should have been cited for discharging his firearm recklessly. A CCL is not a license to police anyone, and not to be used to keep from getting your butt whipped in a fight. If he felt that he was in danger and needed to protect himself, do it. Don't use it to keep from fighting.

Stupid

918Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I expected responses such as this. I'm curious what people think.
There was a disparity of force, 2 guys against one so the threat of serious bodily harm was there.
Not sure what you mean by "A CCL is not a license to police anyone", how was there any policing? He was approached by 2 guys at his camp, he did not seek them out. Is the correct action in your eyes to wait till these 2 guys have you down kicking you in the head and trying to wrestle you CC away from you? Is it reasonable to wait till they are on you and you are in a physical confrontation while you are armed.
It may sound like I am defending his actions, I'm really not. I seek opinions and suggestions. Just having a concealed weapon has now introduced a fiirearm into the situation. One that could be used to defend yourself or one to be used against you.
What would you have done?

Stupid.

He should not have a gun. If you fire a gun, it should be in the event of immediate threat of serious bodily harm, or survival. He should have been cited for discharging his firearm recklessly. A CCL is not a license to police anyone, and not to be used to keep from getting your butt whipped in a fight. If he felt that he was in danger and needed to protect himself, do it. Don't use it to keep from fighting.

Stupid

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
everybody went home . well played right from the pages of the everchanging rule book .

as for keeping my but from being whooped, i aint about to get my but whooped . blood thinners, old and fat , never cared for it in the first place. all reasons i ain't taking a but whooping deserving or not .

yes we all do stupid things , flashlight ,driving recklessly , looking to teach out of school, waisting bullets, bowing up to a pistol . story is full of stupid .
but hopefully we all learned from their mistakes and wont make them ourselves .

stay safe
elance

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming the guys on foot are the same guys that drove buy in the car... Hind sight, reading the story, it would have been a little better legally, if he would have pulled his gun but stepped back into the RV. If they try to break into the RV, he would have much more immunity as far as self defense. I know we "can" stand our ground, but with our current legal system, got to play smart. If they had weapons, different story.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the question and it's a tough one. Where's the line between dodging a butt whooping and protecting your life and family, legally speaking. If you "think" you're in for a fist fight so you don't draw, and find out your attacker means you more harm then that - you don't get to change your mind once you're out cold and the beating doesn't stop or you're getting choked and he doesn't let go when you go limp. Even things like size go out the window when you have to make that kind of decision because I took a few BJJ classes and discovered real quickly that there are some guys walking around that don't "look" like they pose a threat to me physically because of the disparity in size, but reality is I've met guys that I have a considerable size advantage over that can still render me unconscious at will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom