Warren Metcalf's response to the loss of OSA potential customers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... this is getting just funny.

Here is the email I sent letting him know why I will not spend my dollars at his shows:

tRdoc said:
Dear Mr. Metcalf,

I am sorry to hear about the antagonistic approach you have taken towards your fellow promoters. While I do not agree with the business model you have employed in allowing so many non-firearm/sporting vendors into your events, I do recognize that they are your events and you can run them however you please. As this is a large, and rapidly growing industry, I would have thought a little more tact and mannerly conduct would be a better manner in dealing with friendly competition.

This is to serve you with official notice that neither I nor any of my immediate family members will henceforth be attending any Metcalf-promoted events. While you may say to yourself, "Who cares? Another nobody with no money," I would beg to differ. I recently attended the Wanenmacher's show in Tulsa with several thousand dollars in cash in my pocket to spend. I did spend a small amount of that, mostly on AR parts, but ended up not purchasing a firearm. Lately, I have averaged 1-2 firearm purchases per month for my private collection, not for resale. I do not sell my guns. I do not say any of these things to brag or try to impress anyone, I am just letting you know that I am a customer with the means to spend money, and do so on a regular basis. Unfortunately, you and the vendors at your shows have now lost the potential for any business from me, due in part to your business model, as described above, and the rest due to your own mouth. I will, however, be attending SuperDave's Gun Show at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds in Norman on May 12th and 13th, and I will be taking a large amount of money with me to spend. I will also do the same at the SuperDave's Gun Show in Claremore in June.

Good day, and good luck promoting your Beanie Baby, Scentsy and beef jerky vendors.

Sincerely,
*************, M.D.

His response.... AT HIS REQUEST that I post it here:

Warren Metcalf said:
I have been doing quite well without the band of cranky old men and social misfits that are the voice of the OSA, and I will continue to do so. I have seen guys like super dave come and go over my 20 years in the gun show business. I spend $30,000 on advertising that reaches 1,000,000 people for each gun show I run in OKC and Tulsa. On the other hand, dave has 150 OSA buddies and an ad in the penny saver...lets just wait and see which has real success. Cheap little shows hasn't worked for the half dozen other promoters that I have watched flame-out over the years like: White turkey, allen bowls, Susan Diener, the Gun Show dealers association, Gene Cody gun shows...

Has dave the "gun show genius" told you the fairgrounds in Norman is not air-conditioned? looks like it will be 90+ degrees that weekend and boy there is nothing gun dealers and the public like more than sweating their ass off in a barn for a 100 table gun show on mothers day. I ran a gun show in Norman 10 years ago, and I have never been back, for good reason. Enjoy those cheap tickets, cheap tables, no air-conditioning and dismal Mothers day crowd. I am looking forward to watching all those OSA crack-pots turn on Dave, "the gun show savior", when his show is a dud.

As to Claremore, I live 10 miles from that facility and if that town could support a gun show, I would already be running it. In Fact, I ran a gun show there, the very first weekend that new building was open, and I have never been back. Susan Diener, the brains of "sooner gun shows," AKA Grand National gun shows" tried one show in Claremore and not only was it so bad she never went back, but it was such a disaster she has never promoted another gun show anywhere, and she had 20 years of promotion experience too. How is dave, who has ZERO experience actually running shows, going to do? I have a pretty good idea.

As far as my letter to dave, banning him from my events, any business would do the same. All the gun shows have the same policy, even your beloved Wanamacker. If YOU owned a pizza place and another pizza place opened up right across the street, would you let the owner come over to your resturant and hand out coupons to customers that have been coming to your place for years? I don't think so. Gun Shows are no different. I am not worried about super dave, the gun show savant, impacting my business. After all, I spend $400,000 a year marketing my shows, which has worked pretty well for the last 2 decades. I will not, however, let someone come into my event and live off the hard work I put into building my shows, so they can compete against me, even if it is just for a few months until their business plan fails.

Please, please post this on OSA.
Warren Metcalf

Ok.... I've done as he asked. He wanted to make sure you all knew what he thought of you, I suppose.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr. Metcalf sounds like an arrogant little prick doesn't he? I'm glad I quit going to his shows years ago. I would feel foolish bragging about spending $400,000 dollars a year for advertising and producing half rate flea markets with a spattering of guns as a result.

Latest posts

Top Bottom