Wars your family fought in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of them.

I enjoy genealogy and research has turned up quite a bit for me. I have a picture of my great grandfather in civil war uniform (he was a scout). I also have his enlistment papers, all of his muster papers, and even discharge (honorary) papers. I also have the same civil war papers for my uncle. He was in the old soldiers home in MO, and I have an article showing where he was kicked out for smuggling in whiskey.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Revolutionary War GGG grandfather
Civil War Both GGreat grandfathers in grey
War with Spain My Great grandfather
WWI Grandfather
WWII Two uncles on my dad's side, my Grandfather on my mothers side
Korea My father
Vietnam Two cousins
Myself; Active Duty
1976 to 1997
Cold War
Desert Storm
Somalia
OIF II-III as Civilian

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 3rd great granddad (Ichabod Aikin) was a union soldier in the civil war
My great granddad (Edward D. Soward, Ichabod's grandson) was in WWI
My granddad (Edwin D. Soward, Edward's son) was in WWII and Korea

I'm one of the lucky ones, I have some pics of him.

Here's a pic of Ichabod (my 3rd great granddad) when he first enlisted. He looks like Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood to me.

ai386.photobucket.com_albums_oo308_jeffsoward_Ichabodwarphoto.jpg

This is after the war;
ai386.photobucket.com_albums_oo308_jeffsoward_Ichabod.jpg

And one more when he and my 3rd great grandma were old folks;
ai386.photobucket.com_albums_oo308_jeffsoward_IchabodandRosapic.jpg

He started growing that beard during the war and kept it the rest of his life.

I have pics of my great granddad and granddad in uniform also, but I can't find them.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little history that I know of. At least one Great-Uncle served in WW2, and my Grandpa was in the Navy in the Pacific as a nuclear test guinea pig. I did 6 years in the Navy, got a yard boat, and never made deployment, which really sucked.

On my step-dad's side, my uncle did long-range recon in Vietnam, and all I've managed to hear out of him was that they sent them out with just enough food that they didn't starve to death. Dad said when he got back, he threw his medals in the trash and my grandma barely saved them.

A really interesting part to his family history that I just recently learned, his g-g-grandfather and g-g-uncle both fought in the Civil War, with one being on the Union side, and the other for the Confederates. Dad's cousin has the Union man's Cavalry sword as well as his papers of death from the government, being killed in battle. The Confederate one was a mounted Cavalryman as well, and Dad has his double barrel shotgun. I just recently learned all this, even though Dad knows I've been detecting for Civil War relics and researching for 4 years or so, so I've got some genealogy to do on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom