Water Rights - Want a Pond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, i have been idle on here for awhile because I have been working on my property that I closed on in January. I have my trailer in, water, electric and septic so I am now good to go. Nect big thing - I want to build a pond.

Does anyone happen to know anything about water rights when it comes to building a pond? I have an appointment with NRCS on Friday that will answer most questions, but maybe someone will give me something to ask that I have not tought of. The creek is flowing even now during this drought so I think it will fill up and stay full. The only problem I am anticipating is the water shed lake less than 1/2 mile downstream. I don't think I will be able to dam that creek and potentially shut off his water. Is anyone familiar with what I might run in to?:twocents:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily so. You can't cut off the water supply from somebody downstream, the last time I've heard.
The NRCS person will advise you.
Follow their directions.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what I thought Dennis. About 1/4 mile down stream there is a 50 year old water shed lake on 40 acres. I've been told that if that landowned filed some paperwork with OWRB to prevent pond construction up stream then I won't be able to build. If he neglected, then it's anyones guess. Like you said - the NRCS rep will give me the correct guidance.

I'm just so excited about the possibility of having a pond there that I can't hardly wait until Friday to find out.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I met with NRCS on Friday and got some good news. He was very helpful in discussing, explaining to me about cedar erradication, controlled burning, fenceline clearing as well as ponds. Seems the watershed down stream does not make any difference. The Soil conservation Service built that for flood control and another pond up-stream only helps that water shed lake and extends its life. Bad news is it will be a large pond (expensive), maybe 10 acres or so. He is going to do some rough engineering and get back to me middle of next week.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get your fish from a state hatchery, you must posess a state fishing license to fish your own pond and give implied consent for a GW to come on your property and check your license. You DO NOT have to allow the public on your pond if stocked with state fish.
If you obtain fish from a private source, you nor anybody else on your property has to posess a fishing license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom