Weapon light on carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my Ruger lcp or lc9s, neither have a rail. I do keep a stream light on the nightstand,and have thought about going to a gun with a light so there is one thing less to reach for at night. I did have a light on my S&W sigma and I liked it, but didn't want to carry that brick in the summer. Should have kept it by the bed.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give ya that one.

I'm very rarely away from home after dark, so my first reaction was based on that. If I were out at night more, I might indeed consider it. :drunk2:
Agreed. I don't carry it all the time, but the loss of daylight savings time means it's dark by the time I get home from work, so it gets the nod more often this time of year.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this question a while back on a different forum with many policemen. The consensus was that for pro-active work like hunting bad guys in the dark t lights are a good idea.

For reactive work, like drawing on a bad guy, they are unnecessary.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. When I have done some FOF training it was the first thing someone shot at in the dark. I think it is better to have a separate flashlight. Or at least use your weapon mounted light intermittently.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been carrying a light on my handgun for around 20 years and I carry 7 days a week. First old 80 lumen bulbs, then 150 lumen with AA batteries, now Surefire X300A at around 500 lumens. Now I have a light on every firearm I routinely carry. Think about it. Glow in the dark dots on your sights, lasers, dot sights, etc all give you target acquisition so you can hit the shadowy figure you are looking at. The light gives you target identity, a truly important consideration since you should only shoot what you are 100% certain of. How many times has the light caused a problem? Absolutely zero. The only time the light comes off is for maintenance. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see maybe the value of a light on a bedside home defense gun, but for the life of me i don't see it on an every day carry concealed weapon. Unless of course your a night watchman making rounds in spooky places. Why add extra weight and cost to a gun that may or may not work when you would only have use for it after dark. Just another thing that could go wrong at the wrong time. Of course maybe you could always ask the bad guy if he could please stand by while you get your light turned on, i'm sure they would be glad to help out. If you really feel the need for a flashlight i would say not on the gun, carry it seperate.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see maybe the value of a light on a bedside home defense gun, but for the life of me i don't see it on an every day carry concealed weapon. Unless of course your a night watchman making rounds in spooky places. Why add extra weight and cost to a gun that may or may not work when you would only have use for it after dark. Just another thing that could go wrong at the wrong time. Of course maybe you could always ask the bad guy if he could please stand by while you get your light turned on, i'm sure they would be glad to help out. If you really feel the need for a flashlight i would say not on the gun, carry it seperate.

It's obvious you've never worked a WML on a handgun.

e.lvme.me_pzv5j7l.jpg

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't say i had, my first hand gun was a Kimber 1911 that was equipped with a laser, didn't really care to much for it, didn't always work like it was supposed to, sold the gun and never purchased another gun with all the toys hanging off them. If they make you feel like a big man then go for it.

Lord knows there is no end to the amount of play things you can hang on your guns, all you have to do is attach the word tactical and people will fall all over their selves and pay all kinds of money to get them. The man asked opinion on flash lights attached to guns i gave mine, if it doesn't set well with you, then sorry that's your problem not mine. I still think if you want a light there are lots of nice flashlights out there to carry in your hand rather than loading up your carry pistol with em.

But then i'm an 80 year old retired dumb ass, what the heck do i know about things. Tell you one thing though Spanky if i was a bad guy holding out in a dark warehouse there is nothing i would like better than to have you looking for me with a light on your gun, i would know where you were and when to shoot long before you had any idea where i was. That's real life Spanky not some wannabe version. Nuf said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom