weird conversation with someone "with the temple police department"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I won't try to go to Temple TX or have any of these beards:
acdn2.holytaco.com_wp_content_uploads_images_2009_11_Bee.beard_.jpg

awww.sciencephoto.com_image_319325_350wm_P9300387_Bee_Beard_SPL.jpg

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt think you could park against the flow of traffic? I could be wrong but for some reason I always thought that was the case

Edit to add

The Texas law that prohibits parking against the flow of traffic is Section 545.303 of the Texas Transportation Code.

still looking for Oklahoma

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL he seriously looked like a skinny version of Walter from the Big Lebowski. Except he had a more scraggly beard than Jon LeJoie there
I didnt think you could park against the flow of traffic? I could be wrong but for some reason I always thought that was the case

Edit to add

The Texas law that prohibits parking against the flow of traffic is Section 545.303 of the Texas Transportation Code.

still looking for Oklahoma

This was the only applicable section I could find as well. It reads thus:

(a) An operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(b) An operator who stops or parks on a one-way roadway shall stop or park the vehicle parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway in the direction of authorized traffic movement with the right-hand wheels within 18 inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway or the left-hand wheels within 18 inches of the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway. This subsection does not apply where a local ordinance otherwise regulates stopping or parking on the one-way roadway.

(c) A local authority by ordinance may permit angle parking on a roadway. This subsection does not apply to a federal-aid or state highway unless the director of the Texas Department of Transportation determines that the roadway is wide enough to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.

(d) The Texas Department of Transportation, on a highway under the jurisdiction of that department, may place signs prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing, or parking of a vehicle on the highway where the director of the Texas Department of Transportation determines that stopping, standing, or parking is dangerous to, or would unduly interfere with, the free movement of traffic on the highway.

(e) To the extent of any conflict between Subsection (a) or (b) and a municipal ordinance adopted under Section 545.302(g), the ordinance controls.

Sections A & B don't apply to me since those appear to specifically relate to parallel parking along a roadway. Section C does apply to me only insofar as the City obviously permits it because there were marked spaces there. However, section C says nothing about parking with or against the flow of traffic. And so far I haven't been able to find anything in the Temple ordinances but my search fu could just be really weak.

Honestly i wanted to tell him to get bent but just decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Maybe he took offense to my OU t-shirt and decided he wanted to give me a hard time. either that or he was mad because I was fat. those are honestly the only two other reasons I can think of that would have caused him to act like that.

And to be clear, if it was illegal and he was telling me about it, my ego probably would have been stung a little but no biggie. What got me was the attitude he came across with...it was literally "that parking is illegal and you will move it or I will have it ticketed" (emphasis his) Just seemed overboard for the situation

Last edited:

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I doubt he was a real officer or there would have been proof of it shown more than likely I think. I could be wrong though. Parking against flow of traffic is illegal but I've honestly never seen anyone ticketed for it.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes very illegal....because if you back into an angled parking spot it could cause you to leave the spot in a wide arch....

also consider this:
Section 11-1102 - Limitations on Backing

No vehicle shall be backed upon any street or highway except for such distance as may be necessary to permit the vehicle to enter the proper driving lane from a parked position. Such backing shall be done only after the driver of said vehicle has ascertained that such movement can be made without endangering other traffic.

So you can not back up on a roadway at all unless you are starting from park not moving to park and you would have to back up on the street to enter a angled parking spot.

Also I would look at this as well for Oklahoma:

Section 11-1004 - Additional Parking Regulations

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within eighteen (18) inches of the right-hand curb.

(b) Local authorities may by ordinance permit parking of vehicle with the left-hand wheels adjacent to and within eighteen (18) inches of the left-hand curb of a one-way roadway.

(c) Local authorities may by ordinance permit angle parking on any roadway, except that angle parking shall not be permitted on any federal-aid or state highway unless the Department of Highways has determined that the roadway is of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.

(d) The Oklahoma Department of Highways with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place signs prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where such stopping, standing or parking is dangerous to those using the highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic thereon. Such signs shall be official signs and no person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions stated on such signs.

So the state as relegated the use of angled parking to municipality's and they can within reason make the ordinance the way they want for instance here is the way it reads in Stillwater:

Sec. 29-134. - Obedience to angle-parking signs or markings.

On those streets which have been so signed or marked for angle parking, no person shall park or stand a vehicle other than at the angle to the curb or edge of the roadway indicated by such signs or markings. The front of such vehicle shall be parked facing the curb.

So it would not be hard for me to believe that it would be very different in Texas.

Just because you don't know about a law doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it would not be hard for me to believe that it would be very different in Texas.

Just because you don't know about a law doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think I made it pretty clear that the law could exist, just that I haven't been able to tell what the heck he was talking about. to your point more specifically, Texas does allow back-in angle parking. Austin has been doing it both in the city and on the UT campus (which I consider a whole 'nother universe). This means that even if Texas did have a law similar to Oklahoma's, your first highlighted red section couldn't apply without making law breakers of a whole bunch of people who are doing the same thing as me.

Still haven't found anything stating which direction my car needs to be facing as you mentioned in your last highlight.

I don't see how your section c highlighted in red would apply to me parking backward

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how your section c highlighted in red would apply to me parking backward

Simply put the municipality may create an ordinance that you would never find in state statue....state statue gives them authority to do so. Making people park facing forward is common and not backing into a parking space is common.

Latest posts

Top Bottom