Well it is totaled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Rav4 had a sensor light on half the time too. When we had the oil pump gasket replaced it went out never to be seen again. This modern stuff is just weird.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Rav4 had a sensor light on half the time too. When we had the oil pump gasket replaced it went out never to be seen again. This modern stuff is just weird.
Yeah I looked at the live data and it all looks normal I think. About to go out driving and see if it throws the code again. The shop might have pulled the battery cable off or something while working on it. They may have pulled the alternator to replace the pulley. They said it was a pain. It does run like a sewing machine. Nice to not hear those pulley bearings.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, not so good news. I got the car back the shop after the pulley replacement. Running and sounding great. was about to start detailing it. Drove a bit and got a check engine light. Nothing can be easy I suppose. Used my scanner to pull the codes.

P0420 Bank 1 Cat efficiency.

Going to look at the live data and voltages from the 02 sensors in a bit. See if its the Catalytic converter or hopefully an 02 sensor. Can be other things as well. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back yet but I'm sure it will. Hoping it's not the catalytic converter since it has such low miles.

We are delayed for the moment but I will update when I can.
Those O2 sensors get corrosion on the connections before and after the converter. Remove them and insert them a couple of times to clean the connections and the problem might go away. It has for me.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I looked at the live data and it all looks normal I think. About to go out driving and see if it throws the code again. The shop might have pulled the battery cable off or something while working on it. They may have pulled the alternator to replace the pulley. They said it was a pain. It does run like a sewing machine. Nice to not hear those pulley bearings.
Put a piece of electrical tape on the cluster and drive on. I’d be interested in it if I was was in the market. Sell it and and move on. that’s a good deal.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put a piece of electrical tape on the cluster and drive on. I’d be interested in it if I was was in the market. Sell it and and move on. that’s a good deal.
Yep. The wife and I are really looking forward to it. Since we really only need it for groceries and doctors visits it will probably last the rest of our lives. Doctor told the wife she can not drive without someone with her and is sending her to the heart doctor. I think she will listen to him better than me.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. The wife and I are really looking forward to it. Since we really only need it for groceries and doctors visits it will probably last the rest of our lives. Doctor told the wife she can not drive without someone with her and is sending her to the heart doctor. I think she will listen to him better than me.
I hear ya. I'm just OCD about this car stuff. I've driven about 40 miles and the light hasn't come back on so maybe we're good. Working on detailing today. Going to put on a new set of front brake pads also. They arent squeaking yet but will be before long.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t want to throw a monkey wrench in montesa’s car deal, but with you and your wife’s driving issues, would using an uber or some sort of ride service be a safer and maybe cheaper option for just groceries and doctors visits?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t want to throw a monkey wrench in montesa’s car deal, but with you and your wife’s driving issues, would using an uber or some sort of ride service be a safer and maybe cheaper option for just groceries and doctors visits?
Not throwing a wrench in anything for me. This car stuff is my main hobby now. It's this or I might turn into a vegetable watching Netflix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom