Went to PA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally scored this morning. A nice PA 8 point. They don't weigh them here but he is heavy, I estimate 160 field dressed. A long 146 yard shot through timber, no openings, just enough for a clear bullet path. I aimed square on the front shoulder and the deer disappeared - didn't see anything running away so didn't know what to expect. I marked the tree I dead rested on and walked out the bullet path and found the deer dropped in his tracks. I missed and hit him in the neck. Oh well, I'd just as soon be lucky as good. The leaves were not disturbed under him so he didn't even kick. The old 30.06 comes through again.

I'll get some pics up in a few days - They're on my brothers camera.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally scored this morning. A nice PA 8 point. They don't weigh them here but he is heavy, I estimate 160 field dressed. A long 146 yard shot through timber, no openings, just enough for a clear bullet path. I aimed square on the front shoulder and the deer disappeared - didn't see anything running away so didn't know what to expect. I marked the tree I dead rested on and walked out the bullet path and found the deer dropped in his tracks. I missed and hit him in the neck. Oh well, I'd just as soon be lucky as good. The leaves were not disturbed under him so he didn't even kick. The old 30.06 comes through again.

I'll get some pics up in a few days - They're on my brothers camera.

Congrats! The 06 rules!:D

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the 06 is my favorite rifle. I've owned it for 45 years. I still just shoot Remington Kore-Lokt 165 grain that was available back then. I don't use the fancy premiums at all. I replaced that rifle with a 7mm.08 several years ago and used it three years and went back to the 06. I have twice hit a tree and still got the deer with the bullet going through the tree and killing the deer. I have killed several running deer with one shot. You're right - the 06 rules. (IMHO [and experience])

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the 06 is my favorite rifle. I've owned it for 45 years. I still just shoot Remington Kore-Lokt 165 grain that was available back then. I don't use the fancy premiums at all. I replaced that rifle with a 7mm.08 several years ago and used it three years and went back to the 06. I have twice hit a tree and still got the deer with the bullet going through the tree and killing the deer. I have killed several running deer with one shot. You're right - the 06 rules. (IMHO [and experience])

I can't say how many have fallen with mine. I do hand load, and use IMR powder, and 165 grain Sierra HP Boat tails. It just devastates the innards of a deer. I have taken lots of deer with other calibers, but this is the one that does the most damage.
Not the "wonder round" of the current magazines, but "we know the truth":yelclap:

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture. I have others but they're not as good.
ai593.photobucket.com_albums_tt11_buckbuster111_PICT0050.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom