Were you a working adult in 1971?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys that were in military finance: A finance guy once said that if he had it in for someone he could take $100 out of their pay for a charity associated with United Fund and then increase their pay by $100. By the time the payee's finance records were audited and found out that he'd been overpaid he'd owe a few thousand to Uncle Sam. This was before computers and everything was hand-written and posted. Any truth to this supposed rumor?

Last edited:

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got out of high school and was working full time in commercial construction, had worked for the company for several years during summers. Also owned a business with my older brother sharpening saws for contractors, had done that since I was 10.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one of us is growing senile? You were only 14 or 15 in 1971.

Wrong doggie breath. I was 16 and talking with the recruiter. Taking the test, etc. Plus working as an electrician apprentice.

That is what my records show anyway. I think. Damn I need more than 3 hours sleep a night.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys that were in military finance: A finance guy once said that if he had it in for someone he could take $100 out of their pay for a charity associated with United Fund and then increase their pay by $100. By the time the payee's finance records were audited and found out that he'd been overpaid he'd owe a few thousand to Uncle Sam. This was before computers and everything was hand-written and posted. Any truth to this supposed rumor?

I don't remember anything like that, but as we all know, where there is a will, there is a way. There isn't much that cannot be violated.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if I was an adult back then,,,
But I was a 19 year old Airman First Class,,,
Stationed at Hahn Air Force Base in Germany.

BTW, my base pay at that time was $180.60 a month.
I made more than that working fast food at 14 years of age.

Aarond

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if I was an adult back then,,,
But I was a 19 year old Airman First Class,,,
Stationed at Hahn Air Force Base in Germany.

BTW, my base pay at that time was $180.60 a month.
I made more than that working fast food at 14 years of age.

Aarond

Dang! My base pay back in 1971 was $134.40 - I sometimes spend more than that on dinner and a drink or two now. Of course gas was like .37 cents a gallon too...

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lemme see...1971...oh yeah, I was getting drafted, so I showed 'em, I showed 'em good! I enlisted in the Martine Corps on October 1st with no guarantee and less than 2 weeks later, I was pushin' dirt up and down in boot camp. I was working, that's for sure, but I was by no means, an "adult" yet.
I was was a few months ahead of you at MCRD Communication school :drunk:

Latest posts

Top Bottom