Were you a working adult in 1971?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm blaming all of you!! I didn't hatch until 78'

If I ever wondered if this site was populated by a bunch of old people, this thread definitely cleared it up for me. Somehow, I feel a lot younger now than I did before opening it up. BTW: I was born half way through 1974.

That's right kids, rub it in. I'm keepin' an eye on the likes of you!:slap:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm i was 14 then and doing chores around our small ranch and hoeing peanuts during the summer which wasnt to bad the owners daughter was a looker and always wore a bikini to the feilds and i made sure to stay one row over and behind her.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm i was 14 then and doing chores around our small ranch and hoeing peanuts during the summer which wasnt to bad the owners daughter was a looker and always wore a bikini to the feilds and i made sure to stay one row over and behind her.

It's funny...look at these lardbellied kids these days. No one wants to see most of them in a tube top or a bikini....

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1971 I had been out of the Army for 2 years. 1971 was the first year I earned more than $10k, which was pretty good back then. I quit that job to go to college on the GI Bill. I had a wife and 2 kids and lived in a 12x70 house trailer.

A lot of today's 23 year-olds live in their mom's basement, but some of them are hard workers and expect more out of life. The hard workers expect:

a 3500 sq.ft. "starter house"................compared to my 840 sq.ft. house trailer
a couple of 85" 4k TV's........................compared to my 13" black and white set
eat out 6 or 8 times a week..................compared to my daily sandwich lunch and, Sonic, maybe once a week
$1,000 cell phones, $150 concert tickets, expensive vacations, microwave ovens, gigabit internet, and a lot more I can't think of right now.

There are certainly a lot of young people who struggle, but there are also a lot of them who expect/have way more than I ever dreamed of at that age. Maybe what you should be looking at is, how many welfare, freebie, government giveaways are encouraging a large percentage of today's young people to be non-productive. Government intervention results in the less qualified and less productive being educated, hired and promoted because they fit a certain demographic. If you promote bad policies you should be prepared for bad results.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 1971 I had been out of the Army for 2 years. 1971 was the first year I earned more than $10k, which was pretty good back then. I quit that job to go to college on the GI Bill. I had a wife and 2 kids and lived in a 12x70 house trailer.

A lot of today's 23 year-olds live in their mom's basement, but some of them are hard workers and expect more out of life. The hard workers expect:

a 3500 sq.ft. "starter house"................compared to my 840 sq.ft. house trailer
a couple of 85" 4k TV's........................compared to my 13" black and white set
eat out 6 or 8 times a week..................compared to my daily sandwich lunch and, Sonic, maybe once a week
$1,000 cell phones, $150 concert tickets, expensive vacations, microwave ovens, gigabit internet, and a lot more I can't think of right now.

There are certainly a lot of young people who struggle, but there are also a lot of them who expect/have way more than I ever dreamed of at that age. Maybe what you should be looking at is, how many welfare, freebie, government giveaways are encouraging a large percentage of today's young people to be non-productive. Government intervention results in the less qualified and less productive being educated, hired and promoted because they fit a certain demographic. If you promote bad policies you should be prepared for bad results.

I was 7 years old and to this day I still don't expect or want . I lived in a 14'x 80' house trailer for 16 years after I got married.

Latest posts

Top Bottom