What’s the best brand Medicare Supplement Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is that they are paid by the insurance companies. If they represent several companies, they probably don't have much if any interest in which plan you choose, they get a commission from all of them.

If that's wrong, someone who knows more of the inside of the business will be along and correct it.

Correct. Most brokers want to keep the client, and the insurance carrier is the commodity, not the client.

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AARP Medicare Advantage (United Heath Care) for a year now. Seems ok. They yse tiered drug costs. We check using insurance and at GenScripts then buy the cheapest.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used AARP/United Healthcare Plan F. Pay the premium and never pay for anything else. This year Plan F is not available anymore but I am grandfathered in. I use the Tribe for medication. Several surgeries the last 5 years and never ever received a bill.

My wife has AARP/United Healthcare Advantage and Tribal medication. She will have some co-pays but she is very healthy.

You should give United Healthcare a good look.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you plan on never getting sick, Medicare Advantage is awesome. So basically you'll need to get hit by a bus when you're 90 or so.... :D

If you think you'll ever get sick or have existing issues, then you roll the dice. Could be awesome too, could be a nightmare. I saw plenty of nightmares in my time in that industry.

FWIW, Medicare Advantage agents are paid $3-400 per enrollment. They never deal with you again, so they'll say anything to get you signed up.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you plan on never getting sick, Medicare Advantage is awesome. So basically you'll need to get hit by a bus when you're 90 or so.... :D

If you think you'll ever get sick or have existing issues, then you roll the dice. Could be awesome too, could be a nightmare. I saw plenty of nightmares in my time in that industry.

FWIW, Medicare Advantage agents are paid $3-400 per enrollment. They never deal with you again, so they'll say anything to get you signed up.

In addition to JD8's comments, when I had a Medicare Advantage plan (signed up in Colorado), it seemed OK until we traveled out of state. At the time, we hooked up our RV and moved to Oregon to be volunteers at a retreat and reunion center. While in Oregon, the ONLY option I had for medical treatment was the ER. So, somewhere months later, we got off of the Advantage plan to NEVER get on one again. We spend too much time traveling to other states for various reasons, and we don't want to be hampered again.

With regular Medicare and our supplement, we can go to any doctor we want that takes Medicare and in any state.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to JD8's comments, when I had a Medicare Advantage plan (signed up in Colorado), it seemed OK until we traveled out of state. At the time, we hooked up our RV and moved to Oregon to be volunteers at a retreat and reunion center. While in Oregon, the ONLY option I had for medical treatment was the ER. So, somewhere months later, we got off of the Advantage plan to NEVER get on one again. We spend too much time traveling to other states for various reasons, and we don't want to be hampered again.

With regular Medicare and our supplement, we can go to any doctor we want that takes Medicare and in any state.
What brand name company?

Latest posts

Top Bottom